Request edit access
Edward Said Pol-Soc Podcast Quiz
Complete the Quiz below and click 'submit'. You should get feedback and a score out of 50 immediately...
1. Said was born in which country (for which he remained a passionate advocate until his death)?
2. He described a process where groups of people are artificially divided into "Us" and "Them". What single word is used to describe this process? (O___________)
3. What term (the title of his famous book of 1978) is used to describe how the 'West' has looked at the 'East'? It is a way of seeing that imagines, emphasizes, exaggerates and distorts differences of Arab peoples and cultures as compared to that of Europe and the U.S.
4. Which of the following descriptions would you NOT expect to see in an 'Orientalist' text? (select 2)
Middle-Eastern men depicted as dangerous, or terrorists
Arab men shown to be upstanding members of society
Middle-Eastern women shown as seductive and mysterious
The East as a Mysterious world, full of secrets and monsters, like the Adventures of Sinbad, the flying carpet of Aladdin)
Snake charmers with some kind of secret knowledge
Dark and light skinned people working together at a human rights conference
5. Which major world event was the short term cause that made Edward Said think about how the West views the East
The Irish War of Independence
The 1973 Arab-Israeli War
6. "Cultural Relativism" is the idea that:
It's fine to marry your first cousin
a person's beliefs, values, and practices should be understood based on that person's own culture, rather than be judged against the criteria of another.
your relatives (brothers, sisters, first & second cousins) should work in the arts and culture (dance, music, opera, etc.)
evaluating other cultures according to preconceptions originating in the standards and customs of one's own culture.
7. After the "Oklahoma Bombing" in 1995, Said wrote a book about how Muslims are treated (and stereotyped) in the Media. What was the name of that book?
" Covering Islam"
"Brown People are Bad"
"I Said what I Saïd"
8. Said was a MAJOR critic of Samuel Huntington. What phrase did he use to describe Huntington's 'Clash of Civilizations' idea
"Huntington is a gobshite"
It's a "Clash of Clans"
It's a "Clash of Ignorance"
"Clash of Concepts"
9. What is a 'Public Intellectual'?
Someone who works in University, but also spends time bringing their ideas to non-students via the media
An Intellectual who spends a lot of time in the pub
An academic that focuses entirely on research a publishing
Someone who wants everybody to know just how smart they are
10. Edward Said was one of the founders of something called "Post-Colonial Studies". What does this involve?
Posting letters to former colonies of the 19th Century Empires
Studying political or cultural condition of a former colony and analyzing the impact of colonization
Using modern technology to create online games to learn about culture
A way of encouraging former Empires to go an re-invade countries that had found for independence
Page 1 of 1
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
This form was created inside of The King's Hospital.