Learn about alternative plant selections to turf and proper planting techniques from experienced organic land care professionals. Visit 2 private Princeton residential gardens and learn how to match plants to existing site conditions. Properties include a once wooded lot overrun with noxious weeds, now a reclaimed woodland garden rich in plant diversity. Visit www.njaes.rutgers.edu/organiclandcare for more information.
Topics covered will include:
- Incorporating native plants into the landscape
- Alternative plant selections to turf in problem areas
- Explore the root ball/ collar
- Proper planting techniques
- How to select healthy quality plants in a nursery selection
- Examples of organic turf management
- List of native plants utilized on visited sites
- Organic /natural - minimum risk, 25b exempt, insect and disease control methods
FEE: $35.00/p. Check, cash, or purchase orders accepted only. Credit cards not accepted. Checks may be made out to "Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey". Please write organic in the memo line. Send checks and purchase orders to Rutgers Cooperative Extension of Middlesex County, 42 Riva Ave., North Brunswick, NJ 08902.
PLEASE NOTE: payment is due by September 27, 2013. Payment must be received to be registered for the program.
MEETING LOCATION: Mountain Lakes Nature Preserve/ Community Park North, Off Mountain Ave adjacent Bayard Lane /
RT 206, Princeton, NJ 08540. Call for directions- (732) 398-5275.
-Transportation will be provided to field sites.
-Lunch will be provided
For more information call (732) 398-5275.