The Hōkūlea is currently on a 43,000 nautical miles, 47-month circumnavigation of the pacific by traditional Polynesian voyaging canoes Hōkūlea and Hikianalia and 400 crew to 36 countries and archipelagoes, nearly 100 indigenous territories and 345 ports.
We are going to need our detailed registration this time because we are providing some school supplies and require the names and ages of the children. We know there has been a lot of giveaways of school supplies, however, we also know that not everyone could make it to these giveaways or were too late for their registration. We hope this will be helpful to our families!
OUR PARTNERS THIS MONTH: Please join us this month as we partner with...
- Again, the feedback we received regarding the weaving of lauhala bracelets was that there needs to be a "hana hou" so CROSSROADS CHRISTIAN FELLOWSHIP will be teaching you once again, how to make a lauhala bracelet and showing you a different technique than last month. Think about it... Christmas will be here before you know it :)
- John Kaohelaulii from HAWAIIAN CHECKERS.COM will be overseeing the Summer Konane Games to help our youth prepare for a future konane tournament. The games will be available at 5:30pm so come early. We changed this up a little - our summer games will be to give our youth and families a chance to brush up on their skills. We are looking for a team that can participate in a tournament against other konane clubs. Yes, we will still have prizes! If you play at least 4 different opponents OR if you WIN 4 games, you'll receive a prize. See Uncle John for your prizes.
- LILI'UOKALANI TRUST will be providing your evening popcorn snack before the movie begins. Mahalo for bringing your popcorn machine and helping to serve our community.
- Welcome CHILD FAMILY SERVICES - They have been generous to provide some food bags for each family and additional resources they have available. They are also able to assist anyone with SNAP applications.
- Youʻre in for an awesome treat as well... the KEAWE ʻOHANA will be teaching you how to make a beautiful kupeʻe. All the materials will be provided - just come and learn and enjoy!
- We are so thankful to the CONSUELO FOUNDATION for providing your dinner, goody bags and give away prizes each month.
- Our kanikapila team this month is PELIKA ANDRADE and KALIKO MA'I'I. We are so blessed to have this great talent shared and be able to hear some moʻolelo of what Pelika had been doing throughout this summer. It is AMAZING! Also, the sound equipment is provided by KAUI KITASHIMA and weʻre so thankful for EDWIN NAKAKURA who comes early to set up the tents and tables for everyon and RAYMOND KAHAUNAELE setting up all the sound equipment.
- CHRIS GAMBY from SUNSET CINEMA HAWAII blesses us each month with the amazing movie screen for our enjoyment.
- And last, but definitely not least... LIHUE KINIMAKA from THE GREEN PIG will be preparing our dinner for the evenning.
So, bring your family and friends for a sweet evening of connecting, put away all the tech devices for a little while and make some memories with each other. We're looking forward to seeing all of you. Please pass the word along :)
WHAT TO EXPECT:
When: Sunday, July 30, 2023
Time: Gate opens @ 5pm
Where: ANAHOLA CLUBHOUSE - 3900 Kawelo St
- Enter from Puka O Kalalea St which is the side gate to the entrance of the park
- 5:15pm-6:30p Family activities. Join Crossroads Christian Fellowship in making lauhala bracelets and be a part of the Summer Konane Games with Uncle John. Stop at the Child Family Services table for your FREE food bag! KKOAʻs table will have school supplies for the children so donʻt forget to pick that up as well.
- 5:45pm Kaliko, Maluhia and Kaniho begin their time of kanikapila
- Prizes will be drawn throughout the evening as well as winners of the konane games
- 7:15pm or when it gets dark - Movie begins
SAFETY MEASURES - Once the movie begins, please be sure your child is seated with you during the movie. The playground will be off limits once the movie begins because there is no supervision.
We ask that you please be considerate of others, especially our kūpuna. Please use every precaution necessary to not spread any illness in our community. This is a drug & alcohol free event. We also ask that you use discernment when smoking. Although this is an outdoor event, please be mindful of the proximity you're in with children and other families around you.
WHAT TO BRING:
- Hydro Flasks... we will have a water cooler to refill your flasks. As much as possible we would like to decrease the use of bottled water.
- Beach chairs
- Mat or Blanket... please note, we do not have our large mats that we used to distribute so please be sure to bring what is comfortable for you and your 'ohana. We do plan to have them available at our upcoming movie nights when funds become available.
We look forward to seeing everyone and hope your ʻohana will have a fun time. Please mark your calendars for our future movie nights taking place on the last Sunday of each month - only 1 more left on August 27. If you have any questions, please contact Rae Nam at (808)224-4245.
Rae Nam, Executive Director
Kūkulu Kumuhana O Anahola