Welcome to the first literary salon in the glorious offices of independent speculative fiction publisher Erewhon Books. Our salons will feature author readings, but also a space for our community to gather, a chance to talk and relax and play with speculative fiction fans and beyond.
* To attend, please RSVP in the form at the bottom of this page.*
Our first reader is CHANA PORTER (http://www.chanaporter.com/), a playwright, speculative novelist, and education activist (including co-founding The Octavia Project). Chana's first long fiction project will be published by SoHo Press, and we are honored to welcome her here before most of the literary world gets to know her.
* To RSVP, fill out the form below. We will contact everyone who fills out the form by noon on Saturday, October 6 with location and access information. Only people on the list will be admitted, so please RSVP if you want to come.
* The office is in the Flatiron district in Manhattan. The space is big and we should be able to host a whole lot of people, but we reserve the right to shut down RSVPs if necessary.
* Though future events will probably be public, for this iteration we'd like to stick to folks at most one degree away us--that is, friends and loved ones of people known to the hosts or readers. In other words, your +1s are welcome, but please ask them to RSVP at the form above, or do it for them.
* Timeline: We will open the space at 4 and settle down for a short reading at 5. After that, we'll stick around until at least 10 for hangouts, games, and NYCC decompression if you need it.
* Food and drink: We can provide hot and iced coffee and tea and a few snacks. If you would like to bring some snacks or booze (enjoyed responsibly) to share with others or for your own enjoyment, that would be most welcome! We will also probably order some dinner at some point if you want to get in on that.
* Amenities and access: The office should be accessible (street-level entrance with no stairs and two elevators up to the office) but this has not been field-tested. The office has lots of space, two bathrooms, and a kitchen. Please note that we only have seats for about 26 people, so some of you may have to stand or sit on the floor sometimes.
* Games: We've got two big tables and a small collection of board games in house (titles TK). You're welcome to bring more and see if you can get a game going.
* This event will also double as birthday festivities for Erewhon's publisher Liz, which may include components such as a tasty dessert, an optional but audible 20-minute dance party...and more? Feel free to dress as fancy as you want, because you know Liz is going to.
* Community policy: The Erewhon Books office seeks to be a safer space for all community members, but in particular has a zero-tolerance policy for oppressive actions or physical or verbal harassment. If anyone does or says anything that makes you uncomfortable, please talk to Liz. We reserve the right to disinvite anyone from this or future events at our discretion.
Please note that we are welcoming you into our private offices and thank you in advance for respecting our policies and wishes. ♥
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/events/733896400293101/