Where appropriate for the personal safety of the resident(s) and by adherence to the College judicial process, the College reserves the right to remove a student from his/her residence. Students removed from their residence for violations of the Contract will still be held to the financial obligations for the Contract period. In addition, the College may exclude a student from the residences to protect the public health or the health of the student under the policy and procedures outlined in the College Handbook.
Further I understand and agree to the following:
• I understand that my room assignment is binding for each year that I am enrolled as a student at Middlebury College.
• I agree to adhere to the dates of occupancy indicated on the College calendar in the Middlebury College Handbook and as communicated by College officials, and that I will be subject to a $400-per-day fine if I violate these dates.
• I understand that this housing agreement is for a space, not a particular room, suite, or house, and that the College reserves the right to fill any vacancies in my room if deemed necessary. In the event that a vacancy should occur, I agree to live with a roommate assigned to me by the College. When possible, the Residential Systems Coordinator or Commons Deans will attempt to consult with me in making changes in roommate assignments. I am expected to welcome and accept new roommates. If it is determined that I have been difficult with a new roommate or actively tried to create a hostile environment for a new roommate or the community, the Commons Dean will pursue the situation accordingly.
• I understand that room changes are granted on a case-by-case basis after consulting with my Commons Dean and submitting the appropriate paperwork. Participation in an unauthorized room change is subject to official College discipline.
• I agree to return my room key to the appropriate office immediately after vacating my room. If I fail to do so by my departure deadline, I realize I am financially responsible for costs and fines related to the replacement of lock(s) and key(s).
• I understand that I am responsible for all College-owned items in my assigned space and agree to accept financial responsibility for room condition and damaged or missing items.
• I agree not to remove furniture from College rooms. I further agree to follow appropriate check-in procedures when I move into my room and check-out procedures when I vacate my room. When damage occurs within my individual residence and the responsible party is unknown, costs will be determined on a case-by-case basis by the Commons or Dean of the College Office. When general campus damage occurs and the responsible party is unknown, costs will be prorated among all students.
• I agree to be respectful and courteous to my neighbors with regard to noise levels. If I am asked to lower the volume of noise emanating from my room, I agree to do so. When in public areas of the hall (hallway, bathroom), I will speak in an appropriate tone. All noise must be restricted to my room (radios, CD players, music, instruments, etc. should not be heard outside the walls of my room). I agree to hold all my guests accountable to these guidelines and understand that I am responsible for their behavior while on the hall.
• I understand that Middlebury College does not permit smoking in residence halls and that should I violate this policy I will be subject to fines and College discipline.
• I understand that students who choose to live off-campus without authorization - that is, students who are not granted off-campus status but move off-campus nonetheless - will be subject to official College discipline.
• I understand that Middlebury College is not responsible for theft of personal property.
• I agree to abide by safety regulations in order to ensure a safe environment for other students within my residence hall.
• I understand that failure to meet the above guidelines may result in the removal and reassignment of my room.