The Center for Public Service (CPS) offers a Course Activity Fund to individual faculty members currently teaching a service learning course for the 2015 Spring semester. The goal of this initiative is to support public service activities and enhance the quality of projects. This fund helps promote ongoing partnerships between Tulane and the New Orleans community.
Faculty teaching service learning courses that apply by the deadline will be reimbursed up to $250 per semester to enhance successful outcomes of planned service activities. These funds can be used to support semester long activity costs such as tools, equipment, supplies, etc.; to support out-of-class reflection sessions with students and community partners; and/or for community partners as guest speakers in class. CPS also encourages that all service learning students participating in these activities present their final projects or outcomes of their work in a group closing event with the community partner. Here are some past examples:
- Professor purchased a flip cam for their students to use in a public school's Spanish classroom. Students recorded the children speaking, and used the playback for students to improve their speaking and accents.
- In a course with optional service learning, a professor invited their community partner as a guest speaker for the entire class, and used funds to offer a small honorarium. The entire class could form a discussion around the community issues lectured by the partner.
- Professor purchased books and workbooks for service learners to use in teaching and tutoring adult English learners at a newly developed program.
- Professor used funds for refreshments in a closing event at partner site where students presented the final products of their work for their teacher mentors and partner schools.
Faculty, please complete the short form below and submit it by Friday, January 23rd, 2015. Faculty members should submit ALL original, detailed receipts no later than the end of classes to ensure a prompt processing of reimbursements. Submit receipts to your course coordinator. Submissions made after the last day of classes may not be eligible for reimbursement.
- Expenses MUST be related to service learning activity, not the traditional classroom.
- Up to $250 will be reimbursed to FACULTY, and in some cases with advance notice, to partners with faculty's permission. Students will not be reimbursed.
- All reimbursements must follow standard University protocol (i.e. no alcohol, reasonable limit on dining per person, no honorarium for Tulane faculty as guest speakers, etc.)
- Funds cannot support partners in a for-profit venture.