1) The Greater Boston Food Bank - (8:45am-12pm) The Greater Boston Food Bank is the largest hunger-relief organization in New England and among the largest food banks in the country. Last year, they distributed 48 million pounds of food, enough to provide healthy meals to as many as 545,000 people. MIT volunteers will help to sort and pack food for local families in need. Volunteers will meet at 8:45am to travel together to the service location with service beginning at 9:30am.
2) Cradles to Crayons - (12pm-3pm) Cradles to Crayons provides children from birth through age 12, living in homeless or low-income situations, with the essential items they need to thrive. They supply these items free of charge by engaging and connecting communities that have with communities that need. MIT volunteers will be sorting and packing children's clothes and toys for packages that will go to local children and families in need. Volunteers will meet on campus at noon to travel together to the service location with service beginning at 1pm.
3) East End House - (9:15-12:30pm) East End House is a Cambridge community partner that provides services to local children and families. They provide afterschool and preschool programming for low-income children, along with various other programs. Volunteers will be working in two preschool classrooms acting as classroom assistants and interacting with young children. Volunteers will meet on campus at 9:15 to travel together to the service location.
4) CASPAR - Full.
5) The Cambridge Citywide Senior Center - (10:30am-12:30pm or 1:30pm-4pm) The Cambridge Citywide Senior Center serves as a "one stop” multi-service center for seniors living in Cambridge and the surrounding area. The Senior Center offers many programs and services to seniors including breakfast and lunch service, a food pantry, health and wellness classes, various classes, and much more.
- Volunteers can work from 2pm-4pm in the center's food pantry packing and stocking food,
- OR, folks who identify as women can serve as companions from 11am-12:30pm during the center's Womens Group.
Volunteers will meet at either 10:30am or 1:30pm depending on service time and will travel together to the service location with service beginning at either 11am or 2pm respectively.