You may nominate yourself or someone else by completing this form by Monday, March 31st.
• LGBTQ Trailblazer Award
• OUTstanding Student Ally of the Year Award
• OUTstanding Staff/Faculty Ally of the Year Award
ABOUT THE AWARDS:
LGBTQ Trailblazer Award
This queer leadership award is presented to an outstanding LGBTQ-identified student, faculty, or staff member at Montclair State University who, through their dedication, has left their mark on our campus and paved the way for others to follow.
OUTstanding Student Ally of the Year Award
This award is presented to an outstanding matriculated undergraduate or graduate student who has made significant contributions to the LGBTQ and MSU community within the past academic year.
OUTstanding Staff/Faculty Ally of the Year Award
This award is presented to an outstanding administrator, professional staff, or faculty member who has made significant contributions to the LGBTQ and MSU community within the past academic year.
A NOTE ON THE TERM “ALLY”
The LGBTQ Center recognizes that individuals who identify within the LGBTQ community can also be allies to the community. Eligibility for our "Ally of the Year Awards" are based on the candidate’s dedication and contribution to the LGBTQ and MSU community not their sexual, affectional, or gender identity.
Allies are individuals who, regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity,:
1. Believe that it is in their self-interest to be an ally to LGBTQ individuals
2. Are committed to developing an understanding of LGBTQ issues and works to be comfortable with their knowledge of sexual orientation, gender identity and expression
3. Work to understand how patterns of oppression operate, is willing to identify oppressive acts, and challenges the oppressive behaviors of others to all oppressed groups
4. Find ways to confront and combat homophobia, biphobia, transphobia, cissexism, and heterosexism
5. Choose to align with LGBTQ individuals and represents their needs — especially when they are unable to do so themselves
6. Promote a sense of community with LGBTQ individuals and teaches others about the importance of these communities
7. Encourage others to advocate for the LGBTQ community