Buses: 30, 71, 72, 73, 373, 43, 44, 48, 49
WHAT IS RADIOACTIVE YOUTH MEDIA?
RadioActive is a program of KUOW 94.9 Public Radio. RadioActive creates a space where youth delight in discovering public radio journalism and supports young people’s growth as media makers by sharing access to public radio’s knowledge, skills, and institutions.
In this fun, rigorous, and hands-on workshop you’ll learn about journalism, audio recording, audio editing, interviewing, writing for broadcast, and speaking on the air. During the second half of the program, you will produce, host, and edit a daily podcast and create a feature story on a topic you choose. The work you create will be posted on KUOW.org.
This is a PAID opportunity: you will earn a stipend of $1000 for your active participation in the full six-week program. You’ll also have the opportunity to stay involved as a RadioActive Advanced Youth Producer after the program ends.
WHO SHOULD APPLY?
• Young people age 16-18. You must be 16 years old as of June 30, 2014.
• Youth who are excited to use digital media to tell true stories.
• Youth who are engaged in the world and are always asking questions.
• Youth who are strong writers and want to express themselves through sound.
• NOTE: This program is not a platform to promote a cause or a point of view. It’s a journalism program where you learn about a subject and share all sides of the story.
• The program starts on Monday, June 30, 2014 and ends on Friday, August 8, 2014.
• June 30-July 17: Workshops are held Monday through Thursday from 12-4pm.
• July 17-August 8: Each participant will be expected to attend a meeting at KUOW at noon, Monday-Thursday. Beyond that, schedules will vary. Participants will work on their projects approximately 24-40 hours per week, primarily Monday-Friday 9am-5pm.
• Workshops are held at KUOW’s studios at 4518 University Way NE Suite 310, Seattle 98105.
• KUOW is accessible by Metro bus routes 30, 43, 44, 48, 49, 71, 72, 73, and 373.
• RadioActive provides snacks for students, and bus tickets as needed.
• A final celebration will take place on Saturday, August 9 from 5-7 pm.
• The program is free – all youth who complete the program will earn $1000.
• Youth who complete the program will receive a free copy of Adobe Audition audio editing software.
• No previous broadcasting or journalism experience is necessary.
• Come on time and stay for the whole workshop. Attendance to all workshops is mandatory.
• Complete outside work on time (you’ll put in extra time to complete your stories).
• Work on your own and in small groups.
• Treat our mentors, peers, selves, equipment, and meeting space with respect.
• Have fun, be creative and take risks!
WHAT KIND OF STORIES DO RADIOACTIVE PRODUCERS MAKE?
Follow these links for stories from past programs. Get inspired by what you can create!
• ‘What Are Little Boys Made of?’ by Nina Tran:
• ‘Why Ridwan Pretended He Was Allergic to Pork’ by Iman Mohamed:
• ‘Macklemore's ‘Thrift Shop’ Changes Teens' Shopping Habits’ by Varun Dhananjaya
• ‘Fighting Foreclosure: Home is Where the Bank Says it is,’ by Kendra Hanna http://kuow.org/post/fighting-foreclosure-home-where-bank-says-it
PLEASE SUBMIT YOUR COMPLETED APPLICATION BY 11:59PM ON TUESDAY, MAY 13.
[Application continues on next page]