Calvin and high school students meet up to two days a week (Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays) for up to two hours per week after school (4:00 – 5:30 p.m.). Time is dedicated to covering specific subject matter included on the ACT: English, math, reading, science, and writing. At the end of each five-week session, the pairs and triads (in addition to the pre-college students’ parents) are honored through a celebration. The goals of the program include:
- Increased understanding of the ACT
- Increased confidence with taking the ACT
- Better student performance on the ACT
- A broader understanding of the college setting and the necessary steps for successful college entry
- Increased students perception of themselves as prospective college students
Calvin student requirements:
- Commit to at least one hour per week (up to 4.5 hours per week are available) for the five week session
- Participate in tutor training
- Attend the family orientation dinner to be held on Thursday, October 4 at 6:00 p.m. on campus.
Encouraged Calvin student activities:
- Take assigned high school student(s) to dinner in the dining hall at least once during the spring session (meal tickets provided if necessary).
- Accompany assigned high school student(s) in at least one campus activity offered through the college (e.g., concerts, games, etc.)
- Attend the Celebration Dinner to be held on Thursday, November 15 at 6:00 p.m. on campus.