Request edit access
APPLICATION: FOUNDATION PROGRAMME IN DESIGN THINKING, SEMESTER 1 - 2020
PROGRAMME FOR HIGHER EDUCATION STUDENTS CURRENTLY REGISTERED FOR POST/UNDERGRAD DEGREES/ DIPLOMAS AT UCT OR INSTITUTIONS OF HIGHER LEARNING IN SOUTH AFRICA
Foundation Programme students build a prototype
ABOUT THE PROGRAMME
The Hasso Plattner School of Design Thinking at UCT (d-school) invites registered students from institutions of higher learning in South Africa for another exciting 7-week Foundation Programme in Design Thinking.
This programme is offered to undergraduate and postgraduate students interested in learning life and career skills in preparation for the future world of work. Student graduates may also apply within the year after graduating.
Participants will be exposed to the following skills:
• Critical thinking and human-centered approach to innovation
• Abductive reasoning for creative problem-solving skills
• Collaboration in diverse and multidisciplinary teams
• Empathetic approach to problem solving
• Build creative confidence
• Social and cross-cultural skills
Before the programme start date, all shortlisted applicants must attend a one day selection workshop (d-camp) on either the 9th or 11th March 2020 from 9am to 5pm. This is to give you an opportunity to be exposed to what you can expect from the course as well as for the d-school to gauge your interest in the programme.
You need to be able to commit to all 12 full studio days of the programme over a period of 7 weeks, running from 23 March to 8 May 2020. The programme dates are: 23, 24, 26, 27, 30 March as well as 6, 14, 20, 28 April and 4, 6, 8 May 2020. (however, as a team you might have to meet and work on your project outside of the 12 days) All programme days start at 9am and end at 5pm.
You will learn to apply Design Thinking principles, tools and techniques on real world challenges, provided to us by partners from the public sector, private sector, academia and the NGO space. We will also bring guests in to provide insights into how what you are learning is relevant across sectors in South Africa.
* Successful applicants from out of Cape Town would be required to make their own travel, accommodation and living arrangements to attend the programme in Cape Town. The d-school is unable to assist with these costs.
We guarantee a transformative learning experience!
APPLICATION DEADLINE - 21 FEBRUARY 2020
Applications received after 21 February 2020 (midnight / 12am) will not be considered. Due to the volume of applications, only successful applicants will be contacted. If you do not hear from us within 2 weeks after the closing date, then consider your application as not successful and please do feel free to apply again in future.
UCT GSB Campus
9 Portswood Road
Cape Town, South Africa.
COMPLETING THE APPLICATION
Please complete all questions in all sections. We require a student verification letter from your institution, verifying you are a registered student. Forward a copy of the verification letter by email to:
with the subject line FOUNDATION SEMESTER 1 2020.
• You must be a registered student at any South African university or institution of higher learning.
• We require a student confirmation letter from your institution, or if you are a graduate (not exceeding 1 year)
proof of graduation. This needs to be emailed to:
• The age limit is 19 to 35 years old.
• You need to commit to the full programme. Should you not do so, we will not be able to provide you with a
Certificate of Attendance and UCT PLUS credits (applicable to UCT students).
• This course is valued at R84,000 and is fully subsidised. A nominal tuition fee of R1,500 is required to pay for
materials used during the prototyping learning sessions.
BENEFITS TO THE PARTICIPANT
Action-based Learning: learn by doing
Build new networks
Benefit from diverse and multidisciplinary teams
Programme certificate of completion from UCT HPI d-school
UCT Plus credits added to the UCT transcript (for UCT students only)
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
This content is neither created nor endorsed by Google.
Terms of Service