Please ensure you are available to participate in the classes and that you can volunteer a minimum of 40 hours during the tax season at CASA’s Vita site. Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ):
1. What is the schedule of the Vita Training (classes) in CASA? Answer: CASA's classes will be on Wednesdays and Fridays from 6 pm to 10 pm with the exception on January 14th which is a Monday. The classes will begin January 11th (Friday) until February 1st (Friday). These are the specific dates: * January 11th * January 14th * January 16th * January 18th * January 23rd * January 25th * January 30th and * February 1st.
The classes will be taught in Spanish but the books will be in English. All the classes will be held at CASA (10300 SW 72 Street Suite 384 Miami, Fl 33173). Please arrive not later than 5:45 pm.
2. What are the requirements to enroll in these classes? Answer: your commitment is very important to the training classes and to volunteer a minimum of 40 hours during the tax season, weekly and continuously (beginning of January through April 15th, 2019) at CASA’s Vita site.
Volunteers are required to pass online tests in ethics, tax law and intake, interview and quality review before being able to prepare taxes at a VITA site. You will be using in the training classes the tax software used at the VITA site.
To be a volunteer, you need to be a U.S. citizen, a legal resident, or otherwise reside in the U.S. legally .
3. What happen if I cannot participate in all those classes? Answer: attending training as a first year volunteer is extremely important. If you plan to volunteer, please ensure you are able to attend the training. If you miss training you will fall behind and it will be difficult to catch up unless you dedicate the necessary time to do the material on your own.
This is a serious commitment, which means you are required to participate in all workshops. You are required to complete all certifications before you can prepare tax returns at a Vita site (CASA). Certifications must be completed by February 1st, 2019.
4. For how long do I have to be a volunteer? Answer: February 4th through April 15th, 2019, continuously and weekly attendance.
5. What are the schedule of those community hours? Answer: CASA’s hours of operation for Income Tax in 2019 are Mondays and Wednesdays from 4:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. We will be offering this service starting Monday, February 4th.
* MONDAYS AND WEDNESDAYS: Starting Monday, February 4th, 2019 and ending Monday, April 15th, 2019. The Schedule is from 4:30 pm to 7:30 pm We will be closed on February 18th, 2019 in observance of President’s Day.
* SATURDAYS IN FEBRUARY: We will be open Saturdays February 9th, 16th and the 23rd from 9 am to 12 pm. (three Saturdays)
* SATURDAYS IN MARCH: We will be open the 9th and the 23rd of March from 9 am to 12 pm.
* SATURDAYS IN APRIL: We will be open only April 6th, and April 13th, 2019 from 9 am to 12 pm
6. I don't speak English fluently, can I participate in these classes? Answer: Most instructors are bilingual. The classes will be taught in Spanish only for CASA's volunteers but you need to be able to understand English because the tests to be certified are only in English and CASA's Site Coordinator, who will be your supervisor during your volunteering at CASA, speak only English.
Please if you continue to be interested in these classes, make sure to submit your information filling out the following form. If you have a specific question, please contact Lorena Gabuardi at 305-463-7468 Ext 101 or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org. Make sure you answer all these questions and then click the SUBMIT bottom: