Request edit access
Benedict Anderson Pol-Soc Podcast Quiz
Answer the Questions below and click 'submit' to get immediate feedback. Try it multiple times if you need to...
4. Anderson was educated in Eton and Cambridge, worked mainly in the US and the Netherlands, and taught "“International Studies, Government & Asian Studies", but what was his actual nationality? i.e. what passport did he carry?
10. Define the term 'Jingoism'.
Having a very positive attitude about everything
Wanting to fight at the drop of a hat
Extreme patriotism, especially in the form of aggressive or warlike foreign policy
Confusion as to whether you're supposed to be playing Bingo or Jenga
2. According to Anderson, a nation also has which TWO other specific qualities?
Geographically limited and has defined boundaries
All speak the same language
All practice the same religion
Has numerous colonies
Controls its own sovereignty and decision making processes
8. He also argued that Nationalism was “Emotionally Strong, but Philosophically Weak”. What does this mean?
You might have a strong emotional connection to it without being able to properly explain why
You think that you don't need philosophers to tell you what to think about the country
Only the physically strong and intelligent people should be nationalists
Anybody who is emotionally weak should be barred from the country
You need to be able to explain exactly what it is about your nation that you love
7. Anderson argued that Nationalism "is more like a religion that “commands a profound emotional legitimacy” than an I____________"
5. Anderson was influenced by 'Post-Colonialism'. What does this term mean?
The study of Empires and their Colonies
The study of the lasting impact of colonization in former colonies
The study of Wars of Independence
How the postal system works in colonies
9. Examine the cartoon below. What word do you think may have been deleted from the upper picture?
3. According to Anderson, which of the following factors was NOT one of the reasons that nations formed in the 18th Century?
The decline in the unifying power of the Church in the period after the Reformation
The decline in the power of Latin as a transnational language of administration
The rise of newspapers published in vernacular languages
The invention of social media that allowed people to 'Tag' their location
Standardization of time and calendars (bringing about the idea that you can experience events ‘simultaneously’ with other members of the imagined community)
1. Anderson defines a nation as an 'Imagined Community'. What does he mean by this? (identify the TWO correct aspects)
It is imaginary and made up as it goes along
It is capable of being imagined
Is filled with people who must, by definition, know each other
Has 'horizontal comradeship' where people are willing to kill and die for those they have never met
Are people who all have the same skin colour
6. Despite being expelled from the country, with which Asian country is Anderson's work most associated?
Page 1 of 1
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
This form was created inside of The King's Hospital.