Request edit access
Kathleen Lynch Pol-Soc Podcast Quiz
Complete the Quiz below and click 'submit'. You should get feedback and a score out of 50 immediately...
Before you start (and to help your knowledge and recall) why not consult the Kathleen Lynch notes on the website? Click the link immediately after the one that brought you here on the Key Thinker Quizzes page on the website (
.. (they're only 4 pages - anyone can study 4 pages...)
1. "Kathleen Lynch is a big supporter of Neoliberalism"
2. With which of the following Politicians would you associate the term Neoliberalism?
Collins and DeValera
Reagan and Thatcher
Statler and Waldorf
John F Kennedy and Richard Nixon
3. Which of the following is NOT an example of a Neoliberal policy
Deregulation of Industry
Global Tariff-Free Trade
The Privatization of Transportation
Government Funded Universal Healthcare
4. "Affective Inequality" occurs when
...one group in society has more money than other groups
...the burdens and benefits of care work are unevenly distributed
...when an individual gets a lower score than a friend in the Leaving Cert
...when everybody gets enough care, love, and solidarity
5. What name is given to the idea that there should be "equal access to wealth, opportunities, and privileges within a society"? (S___________ J__________)
6. Which of our other Key Thinkers had a big influence on Lynch about how education should operate?
7. One of Lynch's key beliefs is that "people should be as equal as possible in relation to the central conditions of their lives”. In other words, equalizing what might be called people’s ‘real options’. What name does she give to this idea?
Equality of Opportunity
Equality of Access
Equality of Outcome
Equality of Condition
8. In the context of Irish Education, select the issues you think that Lynch would support to 'democratize' the current system. (Select 3)
The introduction of 'Bonus Points' for Higher Maths
The use of the additional 'HPAT' for entry into Medicine
Getting rid of discrimination in school "Admissions Policies'
Reducing the level of 'Streaming' or 'Banding' in schools
Having 'Private' schools subsidized by tax payers
Establishing multiple 'viable' routes through education such as properly funded apprenticeships
Devising Educational experience that allow students to develop emotional skills and personal intelligences as a human capability
Encouraging people to go to 'Grind Schools' so that they can do as well as possible in the 'Points Race'
9. To bring about equality in Irish education there needs to be...
Equality in Education and Related Resources
Equality of Respect and Recognition
Equality of Power
Equality of Love, Care and Solidarity
All of the Above
10. Lynch argues for the importance of 'Care' work, but says that this work is 'Gendered', mostly to the detriment of women. Which of these statements DOES NOT fit that description? (select only 1)
The 'Nurturing Capital' (value of the care work done) is valued less than paid work
It is predominantly the case that the burden of caring for others (children, the disabled, elderly parents) falls on women, and even when working, women still do more unpaid housework.
Men become 'Care Commanders' and women are 'Care Foot-soldiers', where men become 'free-riders' on the care work of others
If you can't care for your sick granny, don't worry, just get her put into a home and pay an immigrant to look after her. Sure you can visit on Sunday afternoon for an hour...
Page 1 of 1
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
This form was created inside of The King's Hospital.