Request edit access
Each semester the UAH Counseling Center serves as a training site for graduate students in counseling as well as undergraduate and graduate students in social work programs from local universities. Graduate level intern responsibilities include but are not limited to: providing counseling to university students, provide consultation services and outreach services (during and after business hours as required) under the supervision of the professional staff at the center. Undergraduate interns responsibilities include: conducting, organizing, and creating outreach events across campus while working in conjunction with the staff. Undergraduate interns are also asked to perform grant research. All interns are supervised each week by one of the professional staff members and weekly in group didactics.
REQUIREMENTS for social work practicum/internship students:
1. All applicants must submit their resume, unofficial transcript, copy of professional liability insurance, class schedule of semester of request, letter of recommendation (from someone in a professional setting and must be on letterhead) and copy of background check verification BEFORE an interview is scheduled. ALL of the above must be e-mailed to
as soon as you complete the application. An interview will not be scheduled until all of this information is obtained.
2. The applicants that are considered for placement at the UAH Counseling Center will be interviewed prior to their final placement. The interview process is a key component in determining whether the placement is a "good fit" for both the site and the student.
3. Interns are generally required to work a minimum of 20 hours/week (2 full days).
4. Interns must provide outreach during and after business hours (including but not limited to weekends), intake, individual, group, crisis assessment and couples counseling under the direct supervision of the professional staff. Interns begin by observing the professional staff. After adequate training, interns will begin to lead the sessions (mostly beginning with intakes) while the professional staff observes and serves as support. All outreach events must be approved by the Director.
5. Interns must participate in weekly supervision and group didactics (usually held on Wednesday mornings but can be changed at anytime).
6. Interns are required to complete all notes in a timely manner.
7. Interns are required to gain knowledge and experience by working the front desk at times.
*Full training will be provided for all of these requirements and expectations by the UAH Counseling Center.*
The UAH Counseling Center is comprised of LPCs and ALCs with interns with a variety of backgrounds and fields of study. The Center offers individual, couples and some group counseling. We are open Monday-Friday with a few possibilities of after-hours and weekend outreach events. As an intern, you are required to work from the start to the end of OUR semester. If an exception must be made, this will be worked out between you and your supervisor if possible. The placement is unpaid. You are required to work the pre-determined schedule that is agreed upon between you and the site. Being timely, organized and efficient is key to a smooth practicum/internship experience.
We see a variety of clients ranging from international, LGBTQ, depression/anxiety, school stress, and crisis assessments etc., if you have concerns about seeing a type of client or issue, this needs to be brought up immediately in your interview. There are times that we must stretch our learning experience and work with issues we do not know much about, however there are limitations to this that must be discussed. Outside training will be provided at the discretion of your on-site supervisor. On a few occasions, seminars are offered on Fridays throughout the semester that you will be encouraged to attend. They are free as long as you attend as one of our interns. You will be required to attend an orientation session that will include in-house training prior to beginning your placement.
All practicum and internship students MUST record their sessions when seeing clients independently. We keep these videos on a secure and protected server. ALL students and staff MUST adhere to their ethical standards and high levels of confidentiality. We understand that students must complete a case conceptualization and present a case during their class; however, the UAH Counseling Center does not allow the students to take home (or to class) any confidential information, including but not limited to tapes of your sessions. ALL students must be knowledgeable of HIPPA and FERPA regulations along with specific code of ethics.
The University of Alabama in Huntsville Counseling Center provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, The University of Alabama in Huntsville Counseling Center complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
The University of Alabama in Huntsville Counseling Center expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of The University of Alabama in Huntsville Counseling Center’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
We reserve the right to request an alcohol and/or drug screening at any time.
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
This form was created inside of UAH.