Community STEM Cafes provide quality interactions to inspire and engage students and parents in STEM activities and learning while building relationships among community, industry, and education.
Each Community STEM Cafe is scheduled on a Saturday morning (see dates below) from 10:00 am to 12:00 pm. Doors open at 9:30 for sign-in/registration and introductions. The venue opens at 8:30 am to set up.
Sept 22 - BogalusaOct 27 - PonchatoulaNov 10 - GreensburgDec 8 - Independence Jan 26 - LivingstonFeb 23 - Roseland (was Amite)Mar 23 - Pine/Franklinton - DATE CHANGED TO MARCH 16Apr 27 - HammondMay 18 - Kentwood
Attendance is limited to 1 volunteer per 10 youth for each activity.
You can volunteer for any of the 5 sections:
1. Elementary Discovery section - provides loosely structured activities that can last about 15-20 minutes each with about 6-8 rotations from 10-12.
2. Middle School Career Exploration section - provides more structured hands-on activities lasting about 20-30 minutes with about 4-6 rotations.
3. High School College and Career Conversations section - provides interactions with STEM professionals in small groups of 3-4 students per professional lasting about 15-20 minutes each with about 6-8 rotations. Printed information, short videos, branded giveaways, and props such as equipment and tools used in that field are great additions to stimulate conversation.
4. Parent tips section - highlights why and how to assist children and youth with their interests and development followed by a Q&A session to address specifics. This section lasts as long as parents have questions.
5. General volunteer - helps with registration, refreshments, or rotations.
Your children and family are welcome to attend with you!