Priority will be given to proposals that have an emphasis one of the following conference strands:
1. DOING INQUIRY How can the social studies be used to prepare better informed and critically thinking learners? How can educators help students distinguish fact from fiction? How do we best incorporate civic learning to best prepare youth to confront issues facing citizens, communities, and our world today?
2. ADVANCING SOCIAL STUDIES CONTENT. What understandings and facts (by teachers or students) are foundational to successfully teaching concepts in history, geography, economics, government, or, another social studies? Proposals must advance significant social studies content understandings aligned to Ohio's Learning Standards in Social Studies.
3. MEANINGFUL USE OF TECHNOLOGY TO PROMOTE LEARNING. How best can new technologies work to advance student learning in the social studies?
4. GLOBAL AND MULTICULTURAL PERSPECTIVES. What strategies and resources can help in preparing youth for an increasingly global and multicultural age?
5. OPEN STRAND. Any proposals not connected the strands above. Still must offer connection to main theme of the conference.
Strands represent a category of breakout sessions that will be emphasized at the conference. All other proposals will be classified into a general "Open" strand. OCSS welcomes your proposal if it fits into a general open strand, but wishes to give priority to the selected strands of the conference.