We are requesting all records to be submitted by *January 31, 2014*.
HathiTrust is issuing a broad call for cataloging records of US federal government publications to be used to compare the holdings of our institutions and understand what portion of the corpus is already in HathiTrust, what portion not in HathiTrust has been digitized by Google or other entities, and what portion remains to be converted to digital format. A full description of the records specifications and requirements for this call is available below. The results of the analysis will be made available at a minimum to those who submit records for analysis, and the records themselves will be available to be used, under appropriate use policies and permissions, by government documents initiatives underway by groups and organizations participating in the call.
Please note that the first part of the analysis we will conduct will involve sending records to Google, to compare with records of materials that Google has already digitized. Any records submitted to Google may be incorporated into a “metadata view” on Google Books (if a record for the item does not already exist; records would not be displayed in their entirety. An example of metadata view is available here: http://tinyurl.com/n7x2xco).
Please see http://www.hathitrust.org/usgovdocs for a list of Frequently Asked Questions and their answers.
Requirements for what to send:
1. Records in all formats (print, electronic, micoform, etc.) identified as, believed to be, or that have a possibility to be, US federal government documents.
2. Records must be submitted as one record per item where more than one distinct item is attached to a record (e.g., for multi-part monographs or serials).
3. MARC21 records must use well-formed UTF-8, be wrapped in MARC XML (http://www.loc.gov/standards/marcxml), and include at a minimum the LDR, 008, and $245|a (or $245|k, when applicable) fields. Records that do not have these fields may be submitted, but should be placed in a separate file named as follows: <MARCOrgCode>-20131002-0300-non_conforming.xml.
4. Records in formats other than MARCXML should be placed in a separate file named as follows: <MARCOrgCode>-20131002-0300-<format>.<appropriate extension>.
5. Files containing the records should be submitted to a single directory designated by a HathiTrust representative who will be in touch after this form is submitted. The format of the filenames should be as follows: <MARCOrgCode>-20131002-0300.xml. If no MARC Organization Code exists, the domain of the URL of the institution should be used as a substitute (e.g., umich for the University of Michigan, which has a URL of http://www.umich.edu).
6. Each file should be no larger than 64 MB in size. Multiple files may be placed into a single zip file.
7. If multiple files are submitted, they should be named with an incremented number at the end, e.g., <MARCOrgCode>-20061002-0300-1.xml, <MARCOrgCode>-20061002-0300-2.xml, etc.
When you are ready to submit records, please fill out the administrative information below describing your records and records submission. Soon after you submit the form, we will be in touch with the location of a shared space for you to upload your records. If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you very much!