Request edit access
Northern Ireland Key Terms Quiz
Listen to the Screencast on Power Sharing in Northern Ireland and Complete this quiz.
1. Which of the following is the flag of Nortern Ireland
2. What is the name of the building where the Northern Ireland Assembly sits? S________
3. In which areas were there overt examples of discrimination against the Catholic/Nationalist community in Northern Ireland? (Select all appropriate answers)
4. What name is given to the period between 1969 and the mid-1990s when violence erupted in Northern Ireland between the Nationalist and Unionist paramilitaries? The T_____________
5. What was the name of the most prominent Civil Rights organization in Northern Ireland in the 1960s?
5. Which phrase best describes the following statement? "A period when Westminster takes back control of governing Northern Ireland through the office of the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland."
6. Which phrase best describes the following statement? "The transfer of power from central government (Westminster) to local or regional governments in Belfast, Edinburgh, or Cardiff."
7. How many Members of the Legislative Assembly (MLAs) make up the Stormount Assembly? (answer in digits)
8. How many Westminster Constituencies are their in Northern Ireland?
9. Which of the following is NOT a "Unionist" Party in N.I.?
Democratic Unionist Party
Ulster Unionist Party
Traditional Unionist Voice
10. Which of the following is NOT a "Nationalist" Party in N.I.?
11. Which term best describes the following groups in Northern Ireland? Irish Republican Army, Ulster Volunteer Force, Irish National Liberation Army, Ulster Defence Association...
12. What are the names of the current First Minister and Deputy First Minister of Northern Ireland?
Ian Paisley and Gerry Adams
John Hume and David Trimble
Arlene Foster and Michelle O'Neill
Boris Johnson and Leo Varadkar
13. Which phrase below best describes the trends being described in the following graph?
"Unionism has become far more popular in Northern Ireland since 2010"
"There has been a dramatic drop in support for Nationalist parties in Northern Ireland since 2010"
"Other groupings represent a small, but growing minority of political opinion in Northern Ireland since 2010"
"In Northern Ireland, you're either a Nationalist or a Unionist, there's no middle ground!"
14. What prize were David Trimble and John Hume awarded for their efforts in bringing about the Good Friday Agreement?
The UCD Ulysses Medal
The Nobel Peace Prize
The Nobel Prize for Medicine
The Medal of Honour
15. What phrase is used to describe the following requirements of the Good Friday Agreement (1998) A. Cooperation within Northern Ireland (between the Unionist and Nationalist Communities); B. Cooperation between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland (All-Island Cooperation); C. Cooperation between Britain and Ireland (Inter-governmental Cooperation)? ANSWER: The T______________ S__________________ (text only)
16. What term is used to describe the areas (such as Education, Transport, and Justice) that the Northern Ireland Assembly has responsibility for?
18. What is the name of the system used to allocate ministerial positions in the Power-Sharing Executive
First Past the Post
Survival of the Fittest
19. If the First Minister comes from the main Unionist party then....
They get control over all the ministeries for their own party
The exclude the Alliance Party members from all government positions
All the other postitions are divided out evenly
The Deputy First Minister must come from the biggest Nationalist party
20. To which of the following responsibilities do the ministers in the Power-Sharing Executive NOT have to adhere? (Select all appropriate answers)
They must support the Programme for Government
They must get re-elected
They must support all decisions of the Executive
They must participate in the British-Irish Council
They must have a winning smile and personality
They must be limited by the terms of devolution and international treaties
21. What was the result of the Brexit referendum in Northern Ireland?
22. What was the name of the young woman who contested the Home Office's attempt to deny her right to Irish citizenship (to allow her American Husband to live with her in Northern Ireland?
23. Before Brexit, what was the makeup of the three Northern Irish MEPs?
2 Unionists and 1 Nationalist
1 Unionist , 1 Nationalist, 1 Alliance
2 Alliance, 1 Unionist
24. Which of the following might you consider to be a strength of the Power-Sharing process?
It forced cooperation between opposing communities
It promotes 'Cultural Equality' between both communities
It stops one group or community from taking 'Unilateral Action'
It promotes 'Buy-in' and social cohesion
25. By what nickname is the "Renewal Heat Incentive" Scandal better known?
Baby it's cold outside
Cash for Ash
Cash in the Attic
Clash of the Ash
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
This form was created inside of The King's Hospital.