Request edit access
The Department Application Form
Application to be a section holder in The Department of Curiosities and Fine Things - Napier Branch
All applications will be considered on receipt of the form and we will try to get back to you within a couple of weeks.
How it works
We allocate you a section. We man the shop, keep your section tidy and stocked (if you leave extras), and take the money from the customers. All sales go through our main check-out area and we will aim to make payments to your accounts on a fortnightly basis.
Fees depend on the size of section you select. We have three sizes
Standard 2m - $52 per week
Small 1m - $32 per week
Tea Trolley size - $19 per week
The tea trolley size is for the centre of the aisles, they are moveable around the shop as we see fit and will be viewed from all sides. They can either be a tea trolley, a small table (same size as a trolley) or two 2 drawer filing cabinets. Normally they will have no wall space..
Site fees cover rental, shop public liability insurance, power, and advertising only, sellers are responsible for any additional insurance to cover their stock.
We hope that you will be able to provide props for your section that are in the old office theme of the shop. If this is proving difficult or stressful we are here to advise and help out where we can. The theme is to give an overall look to the shop to tie together all the different sections and create an experience for the shopper. For clothing sellers, we will provide racks for your products.
We get the word out through social media - Facebook and Instagram. We also use our website and publish ads in print media such as the HB Art Guide, and Napier Inner City Marketing's City Guide.
Hours of operation are 10am-4pm, 7 days except statutory holidays -Christmas Day, Good Friday, Easter Sunday and Anzac Day (when we open at 1pm).
We accept cash, credit card and eftpos. Sellers total sales $ will be deposited to your designated bank accounts each fortnight on a Wednesday evening. We will provide a fortnightly sales report and you can also view any sales online (updated daily).
Due to having limited space and our desire to ensure there is a good mix of quality sections, we are unable to accept all applications. We know you all want to join us but we can not accept everyone. We will try to get a good mix of quality products and innovations.
Please read the terms and conditions prior to applying.
FACTS, TERMS AND CONDITIONS
What is the aim of the Department of Curiosities and Fine Things Napier Branch?
To provide a great opportunity for New Zealand makers, designers and innovators to sell their products, market their brand and be a part of a great shop with like-minded creative people, while providing the shoppers with an experience that will bring them back.
14 Hastings St, Napier
Hours of operation are 10am-4pm, 7 days
Except statutory holidays - Christmas Day, Good Friday, Easter Sunday and Anzac Day (when we open at 1pm).
How is the shop promoted?
Primarily on the Department website, Facebook page, Instagram, Facebook Advertising and word of mouth. We will also actively promote via other on-line noticeboards/sites, flyers, and any other advertising opportunities available. We encourage section holders to promote the shop on their own networks as well.
What if I applied and was turned down?
Don’t take it personally. Space is limited. We will have a waiting list and will contact you if a space becomes available for your product.
If you want specific packaging keep it simple and we will try to accommodate you. We are trying to reduce the use of plastic packaging and appreciate your help in this.
We expect our makers to:
- Be able to set up outside of shop opening hours or at a time that is convenient to us.
- Have all items priced.
- Stay within your section and not block the aisle or obscure another section
- Not use any table coverings or banners etc.
- Not sublet your space except with prior approval of the organisers.
- Not introduce new product ranges without prior approval of the organisers. The organisers reserve the right to remove any unapproved items from the public area, if we do we will contact you to discuss it.
- Not use any electrical equipment in your space without prior approval of the organisers.
- Be responsible for your own stock taking.
- Pay for their space monthly in advance on or before the due date. We will do our best to contact you but if we cannot or payment is not received on time we may remove your stock from the public area, and may reallocate your space to someone else. Our overdue accounts communication process is as follows:
1st reminder of overdue account in 1st week past due date
2nd reminder in 2nd week past due date
Stock removed from shop floor after 4 weeks past due date
- Arrange your own insurance to cover your stock and any props from loss or damage. We have public liability insurance but we do not insure the contents. Contents insurance is at the discretion of the maker.
- Mark coat hangers and any props brought in with your name or some identifying mark.
- Whilst we will do the best we can accidents do happen and the organisers cannot take responsibility for loss or damage to your stock whilst in the department.
- Give us one month’s notice in writing if you would like to leave the department.
- Allow us to photograph your section and use the photos to publicise the Department.
We look forward to seeing your products in The Department.
Sign in to Google
to save your progress.
Website or Facebook link
(if you do not have one please forward pictures of your products to
Size of space required
Little 1m (limited number)
Tea Trolley/Small Table/ Low filing Cabinet (Limited Number)
Do you accept our terms and conditions
Very Short Description of Product Range
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
This content is neither created nor endorsed by Google.
Terms of Service