In order to maintain accurate records of the Greek organizations at the University of Maine we, the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Affairs, must be notified when a student becomes a new member of a fraternity or sorority. Having accurate records will allow the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Affairs to generate community statistics and communicate directly with the new members regarding programming and policies specific to new member education.
1. To be eligible to become a new member of a Greek organization a student must be a student enrolled full time at the University of Maine. Student enrolled at any other university, even if they are in the University of Maine System are not eligible.
2.All new members must sign in to the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Affairs via this online form within 72 hours of accepting a bid from any Greek organization.
3. All new members will receive a copy of the University of Maine Hazing Policy via email and be required to sign a waiver stating they have been made aware of the policy.
4. All new members will be given information describing who to contact if they feel the University of Maine Hazing Policy has been violated.
5. All members will also be required to fill out a member change in status form or have the respective chapter fill one out for them if they choose to drop from the chapter's new member program, do not wish to be initiated, or are dropped by the chapter at any time. This form must also be submitted to the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Affairs within one (1) week of dis-association from the Greek organization.
6. All policies and guidelines established by the University of Maine Interfraternity Council and the University of Maine Panhellenic Council pertaining to new members are still in effect.
New Member Registration Agreement & Grade Release Form
By completing this form you agree to the following:
- You have been extended a bid for membership to a fraternity or sorority recognized by either the University of Maine Interfraternity Council or the University of Maine Panhellenic Council.
- You have accepted this bid for the sole reason that you wish to join the respective Greek chapter as an active member.
- You are willing to release your semester and cumulative G.P.A., quality points, and credit hours to the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Affairs employees, the president, scholarship chair, and advisors of the organization you list on this form, the president and executive that oversees academics of the Interfraternity and Panhellenic Councils, and any employee at the University of Maine Division of Student Affairs who oversees the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Affairs or its employees.
- You are willing to release your Student ID number to the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Affairs employees and all Campus Activities and Student Engagement Directors, Associate Directors, Assistant Directors, Graduate Assistants, and any employees assigned to tabulate grades.
- You will abide by all rules, regulations, and governing documents that pertain to you and your chapter including but not limited to all University of Maine Student Handbook Policies, the Student Conduct Code, all hazing policies including federal and state law as well as University of Maine Policies (both from administration and governing councils), local and national/international organization constitutions and bylaws, etc.
- Any violations of these terms may lead to disciplinary actions against you or the chapter you are listing on this form from the University of Maine Judicial Office, the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Affairs, or the governing council of the respective chapter.
-Please note that by completing the Student ID section of this form, you are giving the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Affairs permission to retrieve your individual academic GPA from student records and for the Office to release that information to your chapter president, academic chairperson, and chapter advisor. If at anytime you feel uncomfortable with this release of information, you must notify the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Affairs to make a change.