These lessons are for experienced or new rowers, who want to get confident enough to join our regular programs. After each lesson, you and the coach will discuss whether you are ready to join a regular program, or should take more private sessions.
- Each lesson is ~ 1.5 hours, of which about an hour will typically be on the water, at a pace that is appropriate for you. With your on-water safety in mind, the private session is typically structured as one rower working with a dedicated coach. If you and a friend wish to take the lesson rowing a double together,
- At one of your private lessons, you will be required to deliberately capsize. This is to ensure that you become familiar with the sensation of capsizing (flipping), and practice techniques for recovering from a capsize. It is imperative that you are ok with ending up in the water, and that you can swim or tread water
- Our club fee for each private lesson is $95 + GST. If you are not already a member of Rowing Canada & Rowing BC for the current year, then their annual fee will be added to your first invoice.
How to sign up, and show up
- Register for our Private Lessons Program on the Rowing Canada Aviron registration site. Make sure that before trying to click the big red Accept button, you have scrolled through the fine print and click all the little checkboxes of fine print.
- Contact Rachel Davis firstname.lastname@example.org 250.361.8479 to arrange time and day for your private session.
- Our boathouse is at 2940 Jutland Road Victoria, BC, on the water-side, between Glo Restaurant and the Fairway Gorge Paddling Club. Look for the signs that say SMUS Rowing Centre (we share the boathouse with St Michaels University School).
- Arrive dressed to row. You can leave a small backpack in the boathouse. An unplanned capsize is a possibility, so a dry set of clothes and socks, and a sense of humour, is helpful.
- Please review our Resources Page which includes a map of our rowing pattern, the Rowing Canada Safety Video, our detailed Covid response, and other handy items.
Published onMarch 19, 2022 https://gorgerowing.ca