Frequently Asked Questions for Business and

COVID-19 Response and Recovery

Below are some frequently asked questions regarding how to respond to the COVID-19 crisis. Please keep in mind information, resources, and policies will be changing as issues and policies evolve. We will update as new information is available.

Have more questions that you need answers to? Email:

(La traducción al español está debajo del inglés)

Guidance for Essential Services and Businesses:

Can I remain open?  It depends on the type of business and protocols in place. Pay close attention to comply with the State of Colorado and Eagle County Public Health Directives and guidance:  

Will grocery stores be open? Yes! They continue to receive regular deliveries of goods. Supply chains and distribution systems are intact, and have begun restocking following the panic buying that depleted shelves. Many are observing reduced hours so staff can provide additional cleaning and disinfection, and/or special hours for vulnerable populations.

Is there a location showing what’s open and what products and services are being offered? Yes! Here’s a place to let everyone know about the goods and services you offer: Vail Valley Partnership developed a Business Resource Information portal. Please fill out this form to help us advertise your messages through our various partner channels. It’s free.


Is local commuting/travel allowed? There are no restrictions on local commuting and travel, and based on the current guidance and information available, at this time the situation should remain that way. ECO Transit has reduced its service; however, ECO Transit is exempted through the March 18, 2020 Public Health Order and will be operating fare-free with reduced routes. Additional cleaning and ventilation measures are in place to reduce the spread of COVID-19 - Click here to view.

How should my business handle transactions with customers? Best practice is electronic payment or credit card payment over the phone to avoid handling credit cards and cash directly. Electronic payments can be accomplished by phone, ApplePay or Google Pay or other means. A number of restaurants have begun using take-out only or provide delivery service. Bookstores in other areas have gone to online ordering with deliveries. Here’s a link to the Center For Disease Control regarding transactions.

Guidance for Employees:

Should I have employees get doctors notes to return to work whether or not they have a confirmed case of COVID-19? Due to the increase in calls and visits to our health care providers, we are asking employers to waive their current policies requiring doctors notes to return to work to reduce the burden on our health care system. All sick individuals, regardless of being tested for COVID-19, are asked to isolate at home for 10 days from the start of symptoms, as long as their symptoms are significantly improving.

What do I direct my staff to do if we have employees that have symptoms, whether or not they have a confirmed case of COVID-19? We need everyone’s help in reducing the spread of this virus, by staying home if they are sick and reducing the spread of illness. If employees are not exhibiting any symptoms they are not contagious and should continue to work as usual, even if there are employees who have shown illness. See here for more specific guidance on testing and what to do in lieu of tests and possible exposure.

How do I comply with the part of the Public Health Order that says “Employees must be screened for coronavirus symptoms each day and excluded if symptomatic.” Prior to fever, shortness of breath, or coughing, those with illness may experience more mild symptoms such as a headache, sore throat, muscle aches or congestion and may be infectious. Before starting work, check in with each employee and ask the following questions:

  1. How are you feeling? Do you feel like you are getting a cold?
  2. Do you have a headache, sore throat, muscle aches, or runny nose?

If the answer to any of these questions is yes, that employee should leave work and go home and remain home for 7 days after the symptoms have started, or three days after the symptoms have stopped, whichever is longer. Check in with your staff who is staying home daily to ensure they are getting better and have the supplies they need.

What should I tell my employees? This is an unprecedented situation in Eagle County and elsewhere that has disrupted every element of society. Safety and health must be our first priority in this situation. When that can be sustainably maintained and enhanced it will be followed by the return of other elements of society. We will need to continue to share information as it becomes available and emerge from the COVID-19 outbreak smarter, stronger and more resilient.


What housing and financial assistance may be available for employees?

What mental health resources are available?

Is there temporary work available to direct employees toward in the meantime or the future? Although many businesses are closing, there may be need for back-up staff to assist businesses that are allowed to stay open or are essential services who are experiencing staff loss. Here are some resources to help employees stay gainfully employed in the interim:

Economic Resources to Support Small Businesses:

Start by reviewing this website from Colorado Office of Economic Development  or Colorado Department of Labor and Employment

What resources are available for longer-term business disruption? The Small Business Administration (SBA) is coordinating disaster loans for businesses being affected by the Coronavirus: See Governor Polis’ March 16, 2020 letter. 

What assistance is available for my business during this disruption? There are a number of local, state and federal resources and programs available. An extensive list is available at the Vail Valley Partnership.

SBA Federal Economic Injury Disaster Loan (EIDL): The application is OPEN, loans can be used for a variety of business funding needs, with 2.75% - 3.75% APR and up to 30 year terms, for more information and to apply go here.

Tips for Applying:

As a first step, businesses should communicate with their current bank/lender to inquire about what loans, deferred payments, or lines of credit are available. This lending process will be easier than the process for the EIDL. Businesses who are eligible for financing elsewhere are unlikely to be approved for the EIDL.

From the Small Business Development Center Network's experience with the 2013 Northern Colorado flood, they recommend you gather key financial documents to be prepared for the application process:

How should I be engaging with my landlord / tenant / lender in anticipation of longer term disruption and challenges covering expenses? While this situation is evolving and it is unclear the severity and duration, it is never too early to begin conversations with your landlord, tenant, or lender as impacts will likely be more severe than originally anticipated. Since we’re all in this together, flexibility will be necessary as we work through this crisis.

How does the Work-Share Program Work? The Work-Share Program provides an alternative to laying off employees by allowing them to keep working, but with fewer hours. While an employee is working fewer hours, he or she may be eligible to collect part of his or her regular unemployment benefits. Click here to find out more.

Here are some other tips from the SBA to help you during low revenue times:

Additional Information:

Those with questions about COVID-19 can call the CO HELP Hotline at 1-877-462-2911.

Other centralized resources are available at:

Local business information: COVID-19 business resources and tools

Eagle County information:

State information: Employers & Employees

SBDC Information: Small Business Recovery Resources

Preguntas comunes para negocios respecto a respuesta y recuperación del COVID-19

A continuación se presentan algunas preguntas frecuentes sobre cómo responder a la crisis del COVID-19. Por favor tenga en cuenta que la información, los recursos y las políticas cambiarán a medida que se devuelvan otros problemas y las políticas. Los mantendremos informados a medida que haya nueva información disponible.

¿Tiene más preguntas que necesitan respuestas? Envie un correo electrónico a::

Guía de servicios básicos y esenciales:

¿Puede mi negocio permanecer abierto? Ponga mucha atención a las directivas de salud pública del estado de Colorado y del condado de Eagle.  

¿Permanecerán abiertos los supermercados? Si. Continúan recibiendo entregas regulares de mercadería. Las cadenas y sistemas de distribución se mantienen intactas, y han comenzado a reabastecer después de las compra de pánico que agotó los suministros de los estantes. Sin embargo, se reducirán las horas de apertura para que el personal tome medidas adicionales de limpieza y desinfección.

¿Hay un lugar que muestre cuáles negocios están abiertos y que servicios ofrecen? ¡Si! Aquí puede informar al público de los bienes y servicios que ofrece:

La Asociación de Vail Valley ha desarrollado un portal de Información de Negocios y Recursos. Por favor rellene este formulario para ayudarnos a anunciar su mensaje a través de sus diversos canales que están colaborando. Es gratis.


¿Se permite viajar localmente? No hay restricciones para viajar localmente, y según las guías e información disponibles actualmente está information no cambiará.. ECO Transit ha reducido su servicio; sin embargo, ECOTransit está exento hasta la Orden de Salud Pública emitida el 16 de marzo de 2020 y operará sin costo en rutas reducidas. Medidas adicionales de limpieza y ventilación se han implementado para reducir la propagación de COVID-19 - Presione aquí para ver.

¿Cómo debe mi negocio manejar las transacciones con los clientes? Es mejor evitar manipular las tarjetas de crédito y efectivo directamente, ya que posiblemente estos puedan transferir el virus. Los pago se puede realizarse por teléfono o usando ApplePay o Google Pay u otros medios. Varios restaurantes han empezado a ofrecer comida para llevar o servicios de entrega a domicilio. Las librerías en algunos lugares ofrecen comprar en línea con entrega a domicilio. Aquí hay un enlace al Centro para el Control de Enfermedades con respecto a las transacciones.

Guía  para los empleados:

¿Debería pedir a mis empleados una nota de un médico para volver al trabajo, tengan o no un caso confirmado de COVID-19? Debido al incremento de las llamadas y visitas a nuestros profesionales de atención médica, estamos pidiendo a los empleadores que apliquen políticas que requieren que los médicos para regresar al trabajo, lo cual ayudará a reducir la carga de nuestro sistema de atención médica. Se pide a todas las personas enfermas, independientemente de que se hayan realizado la prueba de COVID-19, que se aíslen en casa durante 10 días desde la aparición de síntomas, siempre que sus síntomas mejoren significativamente.

¿Qué instrucciones debo darle a mi personal si un empleado presenta síntomas, sea o no un caso confirmado de COVID-19? Necesitamos la ayuda de todos para reducir la propagación de este virus, quedándose en casa si están enfermos y reduciendo la propagación de la enfermedad. Si los empleados no exhiben ningún síntoma, no son contagiosos y deben continuar trabajando como de costumbre, incluso si hay empleados que presentan síntomas de enfermedad. Consulte aquí para obtener una guía más específica sobre las pruebas y qué hacer en lugar de las pruebas y posible exposición.

¿Cómo puedo cumplir con la parte de la Orden de Salud Pública que dice que "Los empleados deben ser examinados cada día para detectar los síntomas de coronavirus y excluir a los que presentan síntomas"? Antes de que experimenten fiebre, falta de aliento o tos, aquellas personas con la enfermedad, pueden experimentar síntomas más leves, como dolor de cabeza, dolor de garganta, dolores musculares o congestión, y pueden ser contagiosos. Antes de que sus empleados comiencen a trabajar, confirme con cada empleado y haga las siguientes preguntas:

  1. ¿Cómo se siente? ¿Sientes que te estás resfriando?
  2. ¿Tienes dolor de cabeza, dolor de garganta o moqueo nasal?

Si la respuesta a estas preguntas es sí, ese empleado debe dejar de trabajar e irse a su casa y permanecer en su hogar durante 7 días después de que los síntomas hayan comenzado, o tres días después de que los síntomas hayan desaparecido, lo que sea más largo. Consulte todos los días con su personal que se queda en casa para asegurarse de que estén mejorando y tengan las provisiones que necesitan.

¿Qué debería decirles a mis empleados? Esta es una situación sin precedentes en el Condado de Eagle y en otros lugares que ha perturbado todos los componentes de la sociedad. La seguridad y la salud deben ser la primera prioridad en esta situación. Cuando esto se logre mantener e incrementar de manera sostenible, será seguido por el regreso de otros elementos de la sociedad. Es necesario que sigamos compartiendo información tan pronto está disponible y surgir del brote de COVID-19 más inteligentes, fuertes y resistentes.

¿Qué recursos de asistencia financiera y de vivienda están disponibles para los empleados?

¿Qué recursos de salud mental están disponibles?

¿Existen oportunidades laborales temporales para empleados ahora o en el futuro? Aunque muchos negocios están cerrando, puede ser necesario contar con personal de refuerzo para asistir a los negocios que permanecen abiertos o que son de servicios esencial y han perdido empleados. Seguido hay una lista de recursos para buscar empleo pagado provisional:

Recursos económicos para apoyar a los pequeños negocios:

Revise este sitio web de la Oficina de Desarrollo Económico de Colorado o el Departamento de Trabajo y Empleo

¿Qué recursos existen para negocios que sufren interrupción a largo plazo? La Administración de Pequeñas Empresas (SBA, por sus siglas en inglés) está coordinando préstamos para los negocios afectados por el coronavirus: Véase la carta del 16 de marzo de 2020 del Gobernador Polis.

¿Qué recursos existen para mi negocio durante esta interrupción? Hay varios recursos y programas disponibles a nivel local, estatal y federal. Encuentre una lista disponible en la Asociación de Vail Valley.

Préstamo Federal por Daños Económicos por Desastres (EIDL* por sus siglas en inglés) de la Administración de Pequeñas Empresas (SBA): La solicitud está disponible, los préstamos se pueden utilizar para una variedad de gastos relacionados al negocio, con una tasa de interés anual de 2.75% a 3.75% por un término de hasta 30 años, y puede solicitarla aquí.

Sugerencias para solicitar el préstamo:

Como primer paso, negocios deberían comunicarse con sus bancos/prestadores para averiguar qué préstamos, pagos aplazados o líneas de crédito están a su disposición. Este proceso será más fácil que aquél a seguir para la EIDL. Negocios elegibles de financiamiento con otra entidad son menos probables de ser aprobados por la EIDL.

A partir de experiencias vividas en el 2013, tras inundaciones en el norte de Colorado la Red de Centros de Desarrollo de Pequeñas Empresas recomienda que recopile y prepare documentos importantes de finanzas, para el proceso de aplicación:


¿Cómo debería relacionarme con mi arrendador / inquilino / prestamista en anticipación a la interrupción a largo plazo y dificultad de cubrir los gastos? Si bien esta situación está desenvolviéndose y no está clara la gravedad y la duración de la misma, es buena idea iniciar las conversaciones con su arrendador, inquilino o prestamista, ya que existe la posibilidad de que el impacto sea mayor de lo anticipado.

¿Cómo funciona el programa de trabajo compartido (Work-Share)?

El programa de trabajo compartido (Work-Share) ofrece una alternativa al despido de empleados al permitirles seguir trabajando, pero con menos horas. Mientras el empleado trabaja menos horas, puede ser elegible para cobrar parte de sus beneficios regulares de desempleo. Visite la esta página web para obtener más información.

Aquí hay otros consejos de la Administración de Pequeñas Empresas (SBA) que pueden ayudarlo durante los tiempos de bajos ingresos:

Información adicional:

Aquellos que tengan preguntas sobre COVID-19 pueden llamar a la línea directa CO HELP al 1-877-462-2911.