Music placement meetings
New students interested in music at Watkinson School, curricular or extra-curricular, must sign up for a placement meeting with Mr. Wayman. This meeting is an opportunity for you to demonstrate your musical skills and discuss what you'd like to accomplish in music at Watkinson, and for Mr. Wayman to learn more about your strengths and how to help you grow. It determines your eligibility for the curricular ensembles, and points you in the direction of extracurricular activities you might want to pursue.
Placement meetings take place in the music room, Goodwin Hall, room 401. They are fifteen minutes long, and contain the following:
- A short solo (one to two minutes) that showcases your creativity and personal style. This can be a song, an excerpt from a larger piece, a recorded composition, &c. You will perform your solo unaccompanied, but you do not need to perform from memory.
- Some technical exercises, covering range, tonal, and rhythmic skills.
- A sight-reading exercise.
- Discussion about your music and where you'd like to go with it!
To sign up:
- The sign-up sheet for placement meetings can be accessed here.
- Times are available in May and in August. May times are strongly recommended.
- Come ready to perform! Though memorization is not required, you should have sheet music or lyrics ready to use.
- Arrive ten minutes early, as there is a short form to fill out. Bring a pencil and water bottle.
If you have any questions:
- Email Mr. Wayman at firstname.lastname@example.org .