HMS Minimum Writing Standards
- I will put my first and last name, block, and date on the paper.
- I will capitalize
- the first letter in a sentence.
- the first, last, and important words in a title.
- proper nouns.
- I will use ending punctuation correctly.
- I will write in complete sentences at all times. I will be sure my sentences
- are not run-ons.
- are not sentence fragments.
- I will spell most grade-level words appropriately,
- including, commonly confused words like to, two, too, there, their, they’re, than, then, et cetera (etc.).
- I will use paragraphs to organize my ideas.
- I will indent paragraphs.
- I will write paragraphs that include a topic sentence, support and details, and a concluding sentence.
- I will use commas and quotations marks to mark dialogue and quotations from other texts.
- I will capitalize “I.”
- I will always use appropriate academic language - not gonna, kinda, sorta, hafta, ‘cause, or cuz.
- I will use words and not symbols- and not &, number not #, et cetera (etc.).
- I will not use text writing- lol, cya, ngl, et cetera (etc.).
- I will include a bibliography or cite within the text anytime I use someone else’s work: pictures, quotes, research, et cetera (etc.).
Please remember students with an IEP still require their modifications.