Kompost Kids Bay View Bash Sustainability Media Intern
Help Create Milwaukee's First Free and Public “Zero Waste” Event
Kompost Kids Inc. works with the Bay View Bash in order to make this volunteer-organized, free, and public event as sustainable as possible. In 2012, we began to collect all organic and food waste from the event, in addition to recycling. Each year we develop new tools and methods to reduce waste, with the ultimate goal of creating Milwaukee’s first public “Zero Waste” event.
About Kompost Kids Inc.
Kompost Kids Inc. is a 100% volunteer-run nonprofit dedicated to educating the public, businesses, and institutions about the benefits of compost. Kompost Kids also seeks to reclaim organic materials from landfills to create soil for community-based agriculture projects.
About the Bay View Bash
The Bay View Bash is Milwaukee’s largest all-volunteer street festival. This free event takes place on the 3rd Saturday of September between Potter and Clement on Kinnickinnic Avenue in Bay View, Milwaukee. The 2018 Bash is September 15th. If you have questions regarding the Bash, please check out their website at: www.bayviewbash.org.
How will you help? The Kompost Kids Bay View Bash Intern will:
- Produce media materials related to the event including:
- Social Media Postings (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram)
- Short videos (such as on Instagram or Facebook Live)
- Print materials such as flyers and signage
- Communicate with the public about the event including:
- Distribution of flyers and print materials
- Representation at community events
- Tracking and publicizing sustainability efforts leading up to and during the event
- Highlighting collaborations with other MKE organizations to improve landfill diversion
- Assist with the planning and implementing Kompost Kids’ waste diversion program at the 2018 Bay View Bash
- Document procedures and outcomes
In addition, the intern will:
- Represent Kompost Kids at regular Bash meetings -- one meeting / month for approximately 1 hour leading up to the Bash and once per week in August and September
- Report via email to Kompost Kids’ Internship supervisor and Bash manager weekly or as needed AND in person or by phone monthly to Kompost Kids’ Board of Directors
The internship begins May 2018 and ends upon completion of the exit interview October 2018
- Total compensations is $600
- $200 will be distributed on July 1, 2018
- $200 will be distributed on August 1, 2018
- $200 will be distributed after completion of an exit interview in October 2018
- We can work with your school to receive course credit
For the most part, the schedule is flexible. The amount of time you spend on Kompost Kids/Bash related materials will vary from week to week depending on your organizational abilities. Time commitment will be greater close to the event.
Bash meetings are typically 1-hour per month, but are generally increased to once per week in late August and throughout the first three weeks of September. The intern must be present the day of the Bash, September 15, 2018.
- Passion for the environment
- Access to email and the web, including familiarity with Twitter, Facebook, & Instagram
- Ability to pass a background check
- Ability to lift 10 or more pounds
- Ability to communicate messages and expectations to stakeholders and the public
- A cheerful attitude, a sense of humor, and a willingness to get dirty
- Knowledge of basic composting principles and techniques
- Driver’s license and transportation
- Demonstrated experience with event or program media promotion, planning, and/or execution
- Working knowledge of graphic design and branding. Access to graphic design software a plus
- Familiarity with Google Docs, Apps, and Drive a plus
Please email a cover letter and resume to Renee Scampini: firstname.lastname@example.org by 4:00pm on Sunday, May 6, 2018.