*11/30/2021: I’m in the process of updating the guide for the 2021 winter season. (Anything currently in green has been updated.)
A JACKSON HEIGHTS GIFT GUIDE
Shop local, this year and always!
*If you have anyone to add, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Please give me 48 hours notice to add names.
Make sure to use #jacksonheightsgiftguide on your social media!
- JH Photographer Yoko Haraoka is offering portrait sessions starting at $200/hr.
- Costanza Musumeci, a local artist and illustrator, is offering limited edition abstract prints, as well as Jackson Heights themed artwork, here
- Anne Heffernan is a JH artist who specializes in collage. She sells greeting cards and a calendar of her collages in her Etsy shop and she also does collage commissions of varied subjects including portraits of people.
- Linda Ganjian sells limited edition prints of Queens landscapes, including Jackson Heights, on her Etsy shop.
- The Culture Candy is an urban art brand based in NYC; the founders live in JH. They offer artist print-of-the-month subscriptions from minority artists, as well as merchandise on their website. Email email@example.com for more info.
- Victoria Adler is the author of All of Baby, Nose to Toes, for ages 0-3. The book was chosen for Dolly Parton’s Imagination Library.
- S. Auyeung is the author and illustrator of Boom! Boom! Boom! The Upstairs Monster, an all-ages short picture book about a child and a mysterious noise upstairs. Available on Amazon in paperback, and on BarnesandNoble.com in hardcover under the title: The Monster Upstairs. If you would like a special inscription or small sketch of your child in the book, she can provide that for no additional cost after you order your book. You can reach out to her at artybeanLLC@gmail.com or on Instagram DM at @artybeanLLC.
- Costanza Musumeci is a local artist and illustrator and the founder of Ladybug Studio NYC, which specializes in artwork for children’s spaces. Her colorful prints can be found in her shop.
BATH / BODY
- Lucy Palacios, Licensed Massage Therapist for Bodywork Spa Jackson Heights offers 20% off a 5 pack of massages. You can't buy happiness so celebrate health with a gift card for all occasions. 917-653-0363
- Treestar is a soap and candle company based in Jackson Heights. They have a local pickup-in-Jackson Heights option available when you order on the website.
- Body Vanity is Latina owned and produced in East Elmhurst/Corona.
- KaChi Therapeutics: Botanically based fragrances for your body and your space, body oils, creams and travel oils - organic and hand crafted in Queens DM for inquiries. @kachitherapeutics
BOOKS / LOCAL AUTHORS
- Open Borders Books is our new local bookstore who was operating on 34th Avenue in warmer months. They have both used and new books for sale on their website and Instagram pages. Half of all proceeds go to a local aid organization and the other half goes towards their goal of opening up a brick and mortar store in the area. Click here for their Holiday Gift Guide!
- KC Trommer, author of We Call Them Beautiful (Diode Editions, 2019) $20
- Irene Javors is the author of Kelpie's Bells, a all-ages book about a special cat, resilience, and trust. Illustrated by Matthew Snow. Available on Bookbaby and Amazon.
- Llana Barber is the author of Latino City: Immigration and Urban Crisis in Lawrence, Massachusetts, 1945-2000. More info here.
CHARITIES / NONPROFITS
- Immigrant Families Together has an Etsy shop. Items are handmade by kid volunteers.
- Melissa Herrera sells Peruvian/Christmas decor on her etsy shop (k9felinePeru.etsy.com). Free shipping if you live in the JH area.
- Second Story Movement, our own Jackson Heights yoga and pilates studio extraordinaire. Gift cards are available!
- Art for a Start offers art classes for kids, teens, and adults, taught by Jackson Heights-based artist Deborah Wasserman. Gift cards are available.
- Handmade pasta classes with Chef Luciano Sosa. Local JH Chef Luciano is offering cooking classes in fresh handmade pasta, and pasta kits for you to cook and enjoy fresh pasta at home. Luciano is a professionally trained chef with over 20 years of experience working in Italian and fine-dining cuisine. He has worked in some of New York's finest Michelin-starred restaurants, such as Del Posto and The Modern, and has trained in multiple regions of Italy. Please contact Luciano at (212) 988-7772, LuchoSos9@gmail.com[a], and visit his Instagram page to see his food https://www.instagram.com/chef_luciano_sosa/.
- Tagmo Treats, Indian Sweets. Holiday preorder from now to December 1.
- Despana for all your Spanish food cravings
- Black and Bolyard is ready-to-eat brown butter that's delicious in savory and sweet recipes. Sourced from American grassfed butter and shelf stable.
- Local JH Chef Luciano Sosa is available as a private chef for special occasions like the upcoming holidays, birthdays, and anniversaries for a memorable meal in your home. He is also offering cooking classes in fresh handmade pasta, and pasta kits for you to cook and enjoy fresh pasta at home. Luciano is a professionally trained chef with over 20 years of experience working in Italian and fine-dining cuisine. He has worked in some of New York's finest Michelin-starred restaurants, such as Del Posto and The Modern, and has trained in multiple regions of Italy. Please contact Luciano at (212) 988-7772, LuchoSos9@gmail.com, and visit his Instagram page to see his food https://www.instagram.com/chef_luciano_sosa/.
- Dovecote Collective is a collaboration between Helen Quinn and Ondine Crispin. Their website offers a collection of totes, towels, pillowcases and more.
- The owners of KOBO Candles are based out of Jackson Heights and Saratoga Springs.
- Kate Cusack makes jewelry made entirely from zippers. Innovative and elegant, Kate’s collection includes earrings, bracelets, pins and necklaces. Earrings start at $40 and she has something for any budget. Kate is offering a pick-up option for local people who want to save on shipping and do a contact-less pick-up from her building on 82nd Street between 34/35th Avenue (enter code JHPICKUP at checkout). The code will work from now through the end of December.
- (Note, 11/21: The online store is closed until Fumi returns to NYC after the holidays.) Fumi Nakamura has handcrafted polymer clay earrings for sale here: https://www.hikidashistudio.com/
- Thank you to Joanna Reynolds for introducing me to Made in NYC! Made in NYC is a non-profit initiative that supports NYC’s manufacturing and maker community. Our full website directory of NYC manufacturers and makers is searchable by borough: www.madeinnyc.org
- Lockwood is a Queens owned and operated chain of 5 stores in Astoria, Greenpoint, and Jackson Heights (7713 37th Avenue).
- Dori Wolt sells hand painted items, including Christmas Balls, on her website.
- Paul Collins of Linden Court makes ethereal records using electric guitars and synthesizers. His latest is available on bandcamp.
- NYC Green Clean is a worker-managed cleaning cooperative based in Jackson Heights. They are offering gift cards in $50 increments, or $120 for cleaning a one bedroom apartment. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
- Eat Your World, run by locals Laura Siciliano-Rosen and Scott Rosen, offers food tours in Jackson Heights (5% of tour proceeds is donated monthly to local food pantries or other nonprofits). In their shop, you can also buy downloadable self-guided food tours and gift certificates for in-person tours, as well as Eat Something New in Queens mugs, totes, T-shirts, and onesies ($5 of every item purchased is donated to Queens Together).
- Dawn Falcone is a professional organizer who helps people declutter their homes and offices. She also offers pre-pack purging, move management and unpacking services. www.dawnfalcone.com 347-453-6163. Gift certificates available.
WINE AND SPIRITS
- QNSY: Jackson Heights husband & wife team Tara Merdjanoff & Jeremy Bohen took their passion for hospitality and launched QNSY Sparkling Cocktails in September of this year. QNSY Sparkling Cocktails are true craft cocktails in cans, made with real fruit juice and pure cane sugar. With a Cosmo, a Mojito and a Lovely Rita (their version of a margarita) at 5% ABV, they're perfect for holiday entertaining. To find a local retailer or for nationwide shipping, visit us at https://www.drinkqnsy.com/findqnsynearyou or @drinkqnsy on Instagram. CHEERS!
- Mixdroots is a woman-of-color owned business based out of Sunnyside and Woodside. They make Heritage influenced, Spirit infusing kits for your favorite cocktails. The kits offered include Sangria, Island Punch, and Spicy Margarita; just add your own alcohol.
JH ALUMNI (gone but not forgotten…)
- Carolina Angel is a personal trainer who offers one on one popular bootcamp sessions on Zoom, specializing in strength training, mobility, and/or postpartum training. She is offering gift cards to be used for training sessions. Contact her at Angelcaro100@gmail.com or (516) 360-4013 for more info.
Hi Luciano, I'm updating the Jackson Heights Gift Guide for 2021 and wanted to see if you wanted to still be included. If anything has changed, let me know when you can! Thanks, Jessie