August 23, 2017
Dear Educators, Authors, and Illustrators,
Thank you for your interest in attending NerdCampNJ 2018 on April 21st at Chatham High School. Based on abundant feedback from both authors and educators who attended NerdCampNJ 2017, this year’s Nerd Camp will run differently.
- Instead of an afternoon Meet and Greet, all authors and illustrators are welcome to mingle with educators from 8am until 9am in the cafeteria for “Coffee and Curriculum.”
- There will be no author panels created by the organizers. While these helped us launch the event, the most positive and effusive feedback was about interactive workshops.
- Authors, illustrators and educators interested in presenting workshops should submit a proposal to the organizers to be considered for membership on the NerdCampNJ Faculty for 2018.
- Proposals must be submitted no later than December 1, 2017.
- Workshop space and time are limited, and TEAMS of presenters are strongly encouraged to submit proposals.
Below is a list of suggested topics to consider for workshops. This list is not intended to limit the scope of your submissions-- ALL proposal ideas are welcome.
- Meeting the Needs of Introverted Readers and Writers
- Best Literacy Practices for ELL/ESL Learners
- Bringing MG and YA Literature into the Curriculum
- Approaches to Teaching Illustration in the ELA Classroom
- Strengthening Visual Literacy Muscles
- Creating and Evaluating Digital Compositions
- Connecting with Authors Virtually
- Tracking Reading Progress
- Social “Leadia”
- The Writer’s Notebook
- Mindfulness Practices for Literacy Educators
- Evaluating and Writing Arguments
- Book Talks/Book Tastings/Book Passes
- Reading and Creating Graphic Novels and Comics
- Classroom Library Management
- Podcasting and Broadcasting
- Photography and Journalism
- Picture Books as Teaching Tools
- So You Want to Publish a Book…
- Launching Independent Reading
We’re looking forward to seeing you in April!
The NerdCampNJ Organizers