Philadelphia COVID Resource Guide

Last Updated: 04/01 11:41AM

 **disclaimer- this is information gathered through public resources not put together by a lawyer. This is not official legal advice** This is being updated frequently each day.

For suggested changes/questions/to add a resource to the list email: or 

Si tiene preguntas, comentarios o quiere recomendar recursos por favor contacten a Karla en su correo electrónico, o por teléfono al (267)449-9895

Legal Services

Community Legal Services 

  • Their Housing intake hotline will remain open for new cases and can be reached at 267-443-2500.
  • If you have an issue with Medicaid, you can reach the Health and Independence Unit at 215-227-2400 Monday, Wednesday and Friday 9am-5pm
  • For assistance with home ownership issues, including mortgage and tax foreclosures, please call the Save Your Home Philly Hotline at 215-334-4663.
  • If you are a parent dealing with a DHS-involved case, please call the Family Advocacy Hotline at 215-981-3765
  • For organizational updates about services:

Coalition of Law Students

  • Not official legal advice but will help with answering questions and getting access to resources, fill out the interest form here

Philadelphia Legal Assistance

  • Unemployment compensation, bankruptcy, probate, lawsuit defense, homeownership issues, public benefits, tax income disputes and any other general intake legal problem, will be open Monday through Thursday from 9:30 a.m. to noon at 215-981-3800. 

Non Citizens

  • If you are an immigrant with perm residency who has lived here under 5 yrs, or undocumented- you may be ineligible for most benefits, but could be eligible for benefits if you have an emergency medical condition, or if pregnant. With regards to COVID-19 specifically, no one in PA should be denied Medical Assistance for COVID-19 testing, diagnosis or treatment because of their immigration status.  COVID-19 is an emergency medical condition in Pennsylvania, so Pennsylvania Emergency Medical Assistance will include coverage of COVID-19 testing, diagnosis, and treatment. 

  • Using Medical Assistance for COVID-19 testing, diagnosis and treatment creates no public charge risk.  As has always been the case under the new public charge rule, the very large majority of people who are eligible for Medical Assistance can receive Medical Assistance without any public charge risk.  In addition to this, USCIS announced last week that COVID-19 testing, diagnosis and treatment (including a vaccine if/when one becomes available) will not be considered during public charge tests, even if Medical Assistance is used to access these services.

  • If you are a non-citizen or do not have a social security number you can also apply for SPBP (if you are living with HIV or take atypical antipsychotic medications) a program that covers these meds. (see section below for this information- also, see immigrant resources/info doc).

Philly Tenant


Philadelphia Inquirer Article About Unemployment

You are eligible if:

  • Your employer temporarily closes or goes out of business because of COVID-19
  • Your employer reduces your hours because of COVID-19
  • You have been told not to work because your employer feels you might get or spread COVID-19
  • You have been told to quarantine or self-isolate, or live/work in a county under government-recommended mitigation efforts

How does the process work?

  • Apply online- do this ASAP:
  • When it asks for your pay/hours worked the week prior and if your pay/hours had been cut due to the virus, enter the hours or income that they ask for in that space, but use any space in the application where you can further explain your situation to state  that the previous week does not reflect your normal pay/hours, and inform them of your pay/hours of your normal work schedule. There should be a space for a BRIEF explanation; make it short and sweet ie: hours were cut due to the business’s response to COVID-19.
  • Anything stated on this form can be used against you if your benefit is challenged at a later date.  Be 100% honest, and keep explanations to a minimum - only facts.
  • You will receive two letters in the mail and a four-digit PIN to complete your registration
  • If approved you should receive your check in 4 weeks
  • There’s no longer an unpaid waiting week, so if you are found to be eligible, you’ll receive compensation from the day you send your application in.  There is also no longer a need to prove you are looking for work at this time.

Job Opportunities

Worker’s Compensation


Do you believe you were exposed to COVID-19 at the workplace? You may be eligible for a worker’s comp claim!

What to do:

  • If you have medical proof: notify your employer in writing, ask them to file a “disease-as-injury” claim (take screenshots of this + any response you may get from your employer)
  • If there are more cases of COV-ID 19 in your particular industry than in the general public, ask them to file a “occupational disease” claim (take screenshots of this + any response you may get from your employer)
  • If you are denied there is an appeals process through the worker’s comp office
  • If you work in a union shop- contact your union to help with this process!

Essential Employees

  • Document everything- have as much interaction with your higher-ups via email + text; take screenshots and store them on a personal computer. If there’s an in person or over the phone conversation take notes afterwards and send a follow-up email to your higher-up summarizing the conversation.
  • You have the right to refuse to come to work if you don’t feel safe/ have symptoms. Email or text your boss with concerns and make sure to document responses.
  • Request safety equipment/adjusted hours via Email or text
  • You may be eligible to use sick days, even as an hourly employee. Request in writing to use those days- you’ve earned them

Youth Service Dashboard This dashboard is intended to inform young people, their families, and their service providers about what youth-serving public service programs are open and accessible during the novel coronavirus crisis in Philadelphia (starting March 16, 2020).

AIDS Law Project Has a great guide of updates to Philadelphia benefits and services:

Applying for County Assistance Office Benefits- SNAP, Medical Assistance (Medicaid), LIHEAP, etc.

Where to apply: Go here.  You can’t apply or go to CAO in person now because they’re closed but the offices are still processing things and taking calls.  Create your account.  If you forget your username and password you can always create a new one later on by knowing your Record Number and SSN.  If you forget- you can always call the Change Center or State Line and ask (see below) You can also call BenePhilly for help applying too. If you have a Case Manager and your benefits are off or you need benefits, call them!

If you are applying for Medical Assistance because you need care urgently, indicate that on your application. The CAO is supposed to prioritize the processing of applications where there is a medical emergency.

Phone numbers:

  • Change Center 215-560-7226- If you live in Philadelphia. M-F 8:30-5  This is a call center where all your calls go to speak to someone in the benefits office.  At the call center, they can look at your records and provide information but do not make decisions about your case. You’ll get a different person every time you call.  If you need to make a change, or speak to the worker assigned to your case, the Change Center employee will “put in a ticket” (write this number down!) and the worker who DOES make decisions about your case will call you back.  (Keep your phone on and pick up calls!)  If the person is not helpful you can hang up and call back again and get a different worker. Fax: 215-218-4699.  
  • State Customer Service Line: 877-395-8930- if you live outside of Phila. Your record number will start with 2 numbers indicating county.  It works the same as the Change Center
  • BenePhilly: 844-848-4376- They can help you with applications and provide more information and clarification on the application process!

  • Income Limits Info: When they are talking about monthly income- they mean gross (as in what’s on your check before taxes and deductions)- not take home (which is what you actually get).  If you are a PA resident even if you just got here yesterday you could be eligible for PA benefits.  There is currently no limit to the amount of money assets (what’s in your bank acct, cash at home etc) you can have for Medicaid and SNAP,  if your current income falls within the income limit guidelines.  Resource limits do not apply to MAGI (anyone falling under the Modified Adjusted Gross Income categories), but DO apply to people on Social Security and Immigrants not eligible for MAGI, people eligible for MAWD, and Waiver.  

  • Non Citizens:  If you are an immigrant with perm residency who has lived here under 5 yrs, or undocumented- you may be ineligible for most benefits, but could be eligible for benefits if you have an emergency  medical condition, or if pregnant. If you are a non citizen or do not have a social security number you can apply for SPBP (if you are living with HIV or take atypical antipsychotic medications) a program that covers these meds. (see section below for this information- also, see immigrant resources/info doc)

  • Over income Limit and Need Medical Insurance: Do you have a disability that requires medication or ongoing treatment and you are over the income limits listed above? You may be eligible for MAWD. “Disability” defined by MAWD could include a mental health condition, chronic illness, etc that requires ongoing treatment and meds.  You will need help from your doctor to provide medical info and sign forms. They can provide minimal info, or you can send it in if you have access to an online patient portal (Rx list, last appt note, last lab) even though CAO will always ask for ALL info.  You will want to include the Health Sustaining Medication Form (PA-1671 ) and the Employability Assessment Form (PA-1663). Benephilly may be helpful with this process.

  • Households: Do you have dependents that live with you? List them in your household.  Do you live with others? You may or may not need to list the people you live with. If you list people in your household you will be required to provide information about them like their legal name, DOB, finances, etc, and the CAO will consider included finances in determining your eligibility.   If you live with people but do not share meals and groceries, you are not required to list your roommates. Are you separated from your legal spouse?  Consider whether you are a household.  The CAO will not know information about who is in a household or not with you unless you specifically tell them.

  • Answering application questions: Be truthful and also know that the more information you provide, the more you will need to prove.  It can be helpful to provide truthful and CONCISE information.  Starred questions are REQUIRED for the application and must be answered.  Non-starred questions are NOT REQUIRED.  A non-starred question that is helpful to answer is your SSN and phone number- could help your app go through faster with that info.  
  • Don’t let questions that don’t fit trip you up.  If you don’t know the answer it is ok to estimate.  For example if it’s hard to pin down *exactly* how much you make per week right now, you can write an estimate to answer the required question, and send in the proof of income you have. What matters is what’s on the proofs you send in. Same with bank acct- if you report a bank acct but don’t know how much money is there or if it fluctuates, don’t worry. Write what it is right now, and send in some proof of the account- they will look at the documents.
  • Tips:
  • Download the PDF at the end, and get your supportive documentation in ASAP. At the end of your application, you will be able to download a PDF summary of the application. Towards the end there will be a page that says “W#________” (your application number) and what you need to send in.  Sometimes, they will not list something they need so it is important to follow up to confirm.  You can attach documents at the end of the application or you can login to compass to attach them or you can fax them.
  • Follow up!!   The CAO is a bureaucracy that creates barriers to access; caseworkers are overworked and underpaid at the best of times--and this is not the best of times.  Keep that in mind.  You have to advocate for yourself. CALL the change center and follow up.  Ask for clarification if you don’t understand.  Ask them if there is anything else they will need. Do not assume you can wait 30 days to submit that document because that’s what the paper says.  Typically it takes 30 days for them to make a decision once they have all your documentation- it could be less. Plan to call back in a week after application to check on the status and if anything else is needed to complete your application.
  • Send proof of residence (ID with current address, utility bill or bank statement in your name, or a note from someone stating you are renting a room from them, etc, send a letter stating “My ID says _____ But currently I live at and receive mail at______ and use current address)
  • If you have income, send proof of income. If you recently lost a job, or are on unpaid leave indefinitely because of quarantine, send proof to the CAO (could be an email or text from from your employer) that you no longer have employment income- the CAO may assume (thru your SSN) that you still work there.  If you report income they will need ONE MONTH worth of income from recent time (within the past month or 2) Try downloading paystubs from your payroll company! You can get a lot of things online.
  • If you can’t get proof of income/updated income/1 months worth of proof right now or if it is too much of a hassle to get proofs or letters signed by someone, paystubs, etc, you can always attest to your own income.  If you cannot get proof of address you can have someone verify your address in writing.  If you cannot get proof you no longer work at a job, you can write a letter attesting you no longer work at that job.  Write up a letter with specifics (I am self attesting to my income/self attesting to that I no longer work at___ as per CAO law, I work(ed) for ______(company) located at______ since _______. and I make(made) $______ per ________ and I cannot get other proof of income at this time/ my job was terminated on____ Sign and date.)
  • If you need to show proof of expenses for SNAP the CAO sometimes sends a letter in the mail to be filled out by the landlord.  You can submit a rent receipt, a lease, a letter signed by a person subletting to you, a letter stating you are temporarily staying at ______ and pay $____/month.  If you can’t get someone to fill something out for you or sign something, or it might endanger you, etc- at least try to self attest first.
  • Sign up for email notices if you can.   This is helpful so if you get mail you can see it right away instead of it getting lost, and if you move or can’t access mail at that address, you will still be able to get the notices.
  • Renewals:  Most benefits are renewed every 6 months.  Check your renewal dates and benefits status on my compass account online or by calling the Change Center and asking when the date is.  Put this in your calendar.  Renewal date will be the last day of a month so if your renewal date is 6/30/20 it means 6/30 is your last date to renew.  You can renew online (do not need to fill out the paper renewal app that comes) by logging in between 6/1 and 6/30.  PA requested a waiver from the US Dept of Agriculture for SNAP renewals to be extended by 3 months and this may be applicable soon.
  • What does the CAO know about you from the back end?  What they CAN do is ping your social security number to see work history and income (basically what a credit report could access. They can also access data about you that’s been stored to verify your identity and have you answer those questions like “what high school did you attend? What address have you lived at?” Things from your credit record)  They can also cross check with other agencies.  Once you have told them something on your benefits app, over the phone, etc. they know it.  (For example, If you reported a bank account last year, they’ll ask about it again if you didn’t report it this time.)  It is like talking to the police in a way- anything you say can be used. When you provide information, do it carefully and concisely AND be truthful.
  • Questions that don’t quite apply but are required? Even if you don’t know *exactly* how much you make per week right now, you can write an estimate and send in the proof of income. What matters is what’s on the proofs you send in.
  • SNAP info and interview- For SNAP, it can be helpful to report expenses like rent and utilities compared to your income if you do have income.  You will be required to prove whatever you tell the CAO.  Have your lease ready or a letter from someone stating how much rent/utils you pay.  Even if your roommate has the bill in their name you can provide a letter stating this, and that you pay your roommate x/month.  The CAO worker will interview you for SNAP and ask some of the same questions on the phone.  They will call you on the phone within 48 hrs- have your phone on and answer for unknown philly calls.  A lot is a repeat of what you put on application.  Be truthful and CONCISE.
  • Info to know: Your record number will start with 51/ __________ (51 means Philadelphia) once you are approved.  Keep this number handy in case you need to make a new compass account or send something in.  Anything you send in: put your W# or Record # on.  You can always call the Customer Service Center and verify other personal information to obtain your record number.  It will also be on any documentation you receive from the CAO (whether it’s by mail or e-notice if you signed up for receiving documentation thru email).
  • Get someone to help! It’s good to have support and it’s ok to ask for help!  These applications are not easy to understand and complete, ESPECIALLY under stressful times.
  • Use My Compass or contact the Philadelphia or Statewide change center to update phone numbers and addresses where mail can be received. This will be especially critical if relief checks are sent out!

  • If you are living with HIV:  You may be eligible for SPBP (Special Pharmeceutical Benefits Program) which pays for your medications.  It can be used as a stand-alone medication coverage, or as a supplement to private insurance plans or to Medicare plans (However you cannot have SPBP if you have Medicaid).  Info and application page: you must get a signature on one page from your provider verifying your status and eligibility- you can email your doctor the application or ask their office to print that page, fill it out, and fax it to SPBP for you if you cannot see your doctor in person to sign. If you have no income write a letter stating so, if you do not have proof of address you can write a letter stating your address.  You can call back 3 days after app was submitted to check the status- they are usually approved in 3-5 days if you have submitted all documentation.  You can get SPBP coverage if you are a non-citizen that does not qualify for Medicaid or if you are undocumented without a social security number.

  • If you take Atypical Antipsychotics (Abilify, Clozaril, Clozapine, Geodon, Invega, Risperdal, Risperidone, Seroquel or Zyprexa) you may be able to get SPBP coverage for those medications if you are uninsured/ineligible for Medicaid, or need secondary coverage in addition to your private insurance to cover the costs of these medications.  You can get SPBP coverage if you are a non-citizen that does not qualify for Medicaid or if you are undocumented without a social security number.

Financial planning and counseling

  • Clarifi is a non profit that provides free financial counseling (in both English and Spanish)
  • They’re open and working remotely
  • They can help you develop an emergency financial plan and coach you on how to talk to lenders, landlords, credit card companies etc right now
  • They can also help connect you to more resources!
  • Visit their website for more info or call 215 563 5665

 Dealing With Medical Bills

  • If Medicaid was active at time of bill then bill is incorrect- could be medical facility error, speak with billing department. Ask them to check date of service. If you keep getting bills in the mail keep calling back until resolved.  
  • If you had/have commercial insurance plan- Call billing dept of hospital to go over bill and ensure charges are correct. May need to call insurance company to get plan information.
  • Every hospital has a thing called “Charity Care”- Google the hosp name and charity care- you will find it.  Similar income elig. requirements to Medicaid- can reduce bill or zero out depending on income- will need to submit application and copy of bill. This is a slow and annoying process- don’t give up (appeal! Call back! Speak to the supervisor!)
  • If you can’t pay the bill consider trying to make a deal with the billing office. Ex. $1000 bill “I can pay you $200 now to close it out, or I can pay you $10/month for 100 months..” or ask for a payment arrangement!  They will be open to negotiating.  Be confident! Keep trying!  
  • Bills are generated and sent automatically.  When you get a bill remember that you have time. You can figure out a solution. It can feel urgent- they want you to feel like you have to pay NOW but remember that you actually do not have to.  Eventually, bills can be sold to a collection agency where fees can accumulate but this takes a while.  You will usually get a letter in the mail stating this.  Staying in touch with the billing office is always a good option!

Other Medical Systems Tricks and Tips

  • If you are uninsured or paying out of pocket for meds: try Good Rx
  • The state has lifted some of the refill limitations. At this time, anyone with Medicaid insurance is able to get early refills for up to 30 days of non-controlled substances, by asking the pharmacy to perform an override at point of sale. This is to help ensure folks have a full supply of chronic condition meds (diabetic care, high blood pressure, psychiatric illness, etc) at home and reduce the need for urgent care, if possible. As you stated, this is not available for controlled substances (opiates, benzodiazepines, stimulants, sedatives, etc), which require documentation from the prescriber and insurance to pre-authorize.
  • If you have commercial insurance, call your member services if needed. The phone number is on the reverse of your insurance card.
  • Can’t get a refill on your prescription?  Try these steps:
  • Getting thru to an actual human: don’t press the number they say for “refills” because it will keep you in their automated system. Listen to whole menu and try  “other” and say “speak to pharmacy staff” if it asks you to say what you need.  Try the option for doctors/medical staff too. The route for medical staff usually goes to the same pharmacy workers as the route for regular patient calls.
  • Call Pharmacy to see when the medication is due to be filled and if in stock. Your insurance will only let you fill every so often. Folks with lots of meds may find it helpful to create a calendar with med due dates.  
  • If pharmacy tells you that Rx needs to be updated- call or message the provider to update.  If controlled substance or other specialty med, a prior authorization may be needed- Ask provider if prior auth is up to date.
  • If sent to wrong pharmacy your provider will need to re-send it to correct pharmacy
  • You can ask your doctor to fill your Rx for a longer period of time if you can pay out of pocket and also could request a prior authorization for a larger supply
  • You likely cannot get a larger supply of a controlled substance.

 Utility Companies

  • Effective immediately, PGW is suspending non-payment terminations and waiving new late payment charges until May 1, 2020. They will also continue working with customers to identify existing programs that could help them, like LIHEAP and UESF. PGW will be closing all five of its Customer Service Centers effective Monday, March 16th. Customers are advised to visit the website for more information.
  • Philadelphia Water Department will not shut off water for customers who fall behind on payments through May 15. Planned water shutoffs are postponed. Water operations will continue uninterrupted, regardless of staffing.
  • PECO is also suspending service disconnections and suspending new late payment fees til at least May 1st. Visit their website for more info.
  • You may be eligible for reduced utilities.  Check income guidelines for each program at the website.

Immigrant Resources & updates 

  • See above for SPBP medication coverage information- if you are living with HIV or take atypical antipsychotics

--Juntos will be updating to be more comprehensive and user-friendly soon.  


Stimulus Check

  • How large will the payments be? Most adults will get $1,200, although some would get less. For every qualifying child age 16 or under, the payment will be an additional $500.
  • How many payments will there be? Just one. Future bills could order up additional payments, though.
  • What year’s income should I be looking at? 2019. If you haven’t prepared a tax return yet, you can use your 2018 return. If you haven’t filed that yet, you can use a 2019 Social Security statement showing your income to see what an employer reported to the I.R.S.
  • Will I have to apply to receive a payment? No. If the Internal Revenue Service already has your bank account information, it will transfer the money to you via direct deposit based on the recent income-tax figures it already has.
  • When will the payment arrive? Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said he expected most people to get their payments within three weeks.

Immediate Resources


  • There is a moratorium on evictions for the moment. NO EVICTIONS ARE PERMITTED IN PHILADELPHIA DURING THIS CRISIS. This ban is in effect until April 3rd.
  • Homewood Suites in University City is offering free rooms to doctors and nurses from the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania and Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. Those who are not able to return to their homes during these challenging times are welcome to book a room free of charge. Contact the hotel at 215.382.1111 for more information.

Relief Funds Available


  • Child care services will be offered Monday through Friday, 6:00 am -6:00 pm for children 6 weeks-12 years of age (ages vary per location).

Baby Supplies

  • Philadelphia Interfaith Hospitality Network

The PIHN Northwest Family Center will be open on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 10AM – 6PM, and Saturdays from 10AM – 2PM for food and diapers. 215-247-4663, 7047 Germantown Ave, Phila, PA 19119.

  • WIC has stopped requiring infants, children, and/or pregnant women to come in for their WIC benefits – participants can send someone to come in for them if they tell WIC staff over the phone who will be coming to pick up their benefits and that person needs to bring photo identification. Website:  

Sites:  Hours: Monday–Thursday, 7am–1pm starting March 23rd  

  • North Philadelphia WIC Office: 215-229-3786, 1300 W Lehigh Ave #104, Phila, PA 19132  
  • South Philadelphia WIC Office: 215-463-5571, 1165 S Broad St, Phila, PA, 19146
  •  Overbrook WIC Office: 215-477-3360, 5610 Lancaster Ave #1400, Phila, PA, 19131  
  • Aramingo WIC Office: 215-533-9597, 2401 E Tioga Street, A4, Phila, PA, 19134  
  • Germantown WIC Office: 215-284-1500, 301 E Chelten Ave, Phila, PA, 19144  
  • Northeast WIC Office: 215-745-7251, 7959 Bustleton Ave, Phila, PA, 19152  
  • Olney-Logan WIC Office: 215-927-1950, 5751 N Broad Street, Phila, PA, 19141  
  • Woodland WIC Office: 215-726-1142, 1741 S 54th Street, Phila, PA, 19143  

  • Northeast Philadelphia: 215-624-5920, 7340 Jackson Street, Phila, PA, 19136
  • Monday–Friday, 9-11:30am & 1-2pm
  • Casa del Carmen: 267-331-2500, 4400 North Reese St, Phila, PA, 19140
  • Monday–Thursday, 8:30am-1pm
  • Southwest Philadelphia: 215-724-8550, 6214 Grays St, Phila, PA, 19142
  • Food only: Monday 10-1pm; Diapers only: Tuesday 11-1pm; Wednesday & Friday 10-1pm
  • Breastfeeding Support
  • Pacify: A FREE mobile app that provides on-demand access to lactation specialists right from your smartphone.
  • Get the app “Pacify” in the Apple Store or Google Play
  • Enter the enrollment code PHILLY at signup for FREE 24/7 access
  • Breast pumps: You can reach out to your insurance provider to request a breast pump delivered to your home.


  • Sites are open Mondays and Thursdays from 10 a.m. – 12 p.m.
  • Residents can pick up one box per household. Supplies will last up to five days.
  • Residents do not need to present an ID or proof of income for eligibility.
  •  Food sites are supported by the City, Share Food Program, and Philabundance.
  • Philadelphia area stores with dedicated shopping hours for the elderly, pregnant people, and those who are immunocompromised:
  • Acme is reserving 7 a.m. to 9 a.m. every weekday for people ages 60 and older, as well as customers with compromised immune systems.
  • Aldi announced on Facebook that its stores will be open to senior citizens, expectant mothers, and customers with health concerns from 8:30 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. on Tuesdays and Thursday
  • The Fresh Market is open to seniors and “other individuals most at risk” from 8 a.m. to 9 a.m. weekdays
  • Giant Food Stores has designated 6 a.m. to 7 a.m. daily for customers 60 and older, as well as those who are immunocompromised. The company has since announced that in-store pharmacies will open at 6 a.m. for those customers
  • Trader Joe’s said in a statement that every day between 9 a.m. and 10 a.m., its stores will maintain an “additional line outside the front door” for senior customers so that they can have “an expedited entrance” to shop
  • Customers 60 and older can shop at Whole Foods Markets one hour before regular operating hours.
  • Devereux Memorial United Methodist Church serves food Wednesdays at 12pm. Located at 2527 W Allegheny, 215-221-5050.
  • St Francis Inn serves  To-go meals Mon-Thurs. 4:30-6pm, Fri-Sun. 11:30am-1pm, Coffee and pastries T/W/Th. 10am-11amLocated at 2441 Kensington Ave, 215-423-5845.
  • Our Brother’s Place has To-go meals Mon-Fri 12-1pm pick-up in garage. They serve men only. Located at 906 Hamilton Street, 215-985-1600.
  • Church of the Advocate has to go meals daily at 12pm. Located at 1801 Diamond St, 215-978-8000.
  • South Philly
  • Rowhouse Grocery- 17th + McKean: Offering a 15% discount for service workers
  • South Philly Barbacoa- Half kilo of vegan barbacoa 6-8 pm until friday 3/20 pay what you can
  • Pay what you wish meals at Kalaya from 3pm-5pm daily (764 S 9th S)
  • Giordano’s Food Market- $35.00 produce, vegetable, dairy, nuts and dried fruit box; delivery or pick-up: call 215-389-6500 or email
  • West Philly
  • West Philly Food Not Bombs distributes free food every Friday at 4:30pm at Malcolm X Park (51st and Pine)
  • Food Not Bombs Solidarity distributes free food every Thursday from 5-6pm at the 46th Street El Stop (46th and Market.)
  • Crusaders for Christ Church distributes food on Fridays from 3-4 PM. (Please call on Friday morning to be sure they are still distributing food: 215-387-3014.) Location: 1201 South 42nd Street, Philadelphia PA 19143
  • Paradise Emmanuel Tabernacle church distributes food on Wednesdays and Saturdays, from 9 AM-12 Noon. (215) 571-5406; 4704 Woodland Avenue, Philadelphia, PA 19143.
  •  DOPE is offering non-perishables and frozen food every Friday from 3-5 at 56th and Kingsessing. They will deliver to elderly folks and parents with young children. Their number is 267-281-4931. They will continue to do this through the duration of the shutdown.
  • Chosen 300 West has to-go meals Mon & Fri. 6-7:30pm. Located at 3959 Lancaster Ave, 215-765-9806.
  • University Lutheran Church has meals Mondays 6pm; Tuesdays 5pm. Located at 3637 Chestnut Street, 215-387-2885.
  • Abundant Life Healing Fellowship Church at 100 N 63rd St (215-472-4236) offers pre-filled bags of food 9am-12pm on the 3rd Saturday of every month. Photo ID and proof of address still required
  • Center City
  • Broad St Ministry is offering to go meals M-F 11:30am-2pm. Located at 215 S Broad.
  • Chosen 300 is distributing carry out meals on Wednesdays from 5:30-8pm and Fridays from 5:30-8pm. Located at 1116 Spring Garden Street, 215-765-9806.
  • St John’s Hospice offers carry out meals M-F 12pm-1pm. Located at 1221 Race Street, 215-563-7763.
  • St Mark’s is offering Saturday soup to-go from 7am-9am and is serving food Tues-Fri 9:30-11am at Parish Hall Door. Located at 1625 Locust Street, 215-735-1416.
  • Sunday Love Project serves food on Sundays at 5pm, Mondays at 10am and Tuesdays at 5pm. Located at 1904 Walnut Street, 267-241-8348.
  • Muslims Serve serve to go food outside the Municipal Services Building Thurs-Monday at 4pm. 833-486-4370 ext. 2.
  • North West  
  •   Free Halal lunch available from Masijidullah Inc. 7401 Limekiln Pike, Philadelphia, PA 19138.  Please contact MECCA at or call 215-424-44880.
  • Weaver's Way Co-op has expanded their home delivery and I believe is not charging for it. Not the cheapest place to shop but they are very community-minded.

Phone and Internet access:

  • Comcast
  • Through April 30th, Comcast is offering two free months of Comcast Internet Essentials to new customers with limited means. See their website for eligibility requirements and more details.
  • The simplest, fastest, and easiest way to the apply for the program is from a mobile device at Call 1-855-8-INTERNET (1-855-846-8376) if you are having trouble signing up with your smartphone. However, the call centers are very busy at this time.
  • Xfinity WiFi hotspots across the country will be available to anyone who needs them for free—including non-Xfinity Internet subscribers. For a map of Xfinity WiFi hotspots, visit Once at a hotspot, consumers should select the “xfinitywifi” network name in the list of available hotspots and then launch a browser
  • Verizon
  • Verizon will now offer low-cost internet access through its Lifeline program to individuals who qualify. Limitations apply. For program details, visit their Lifeline webpage. For answers to your questions, see Verizon’s COVID-19 FAQs.
  • Verizon will waive overage charges and late fees for customers who may be financially affected by the COVID-19 crisis.
  • Verizon will provide two months waived internet and voice service charges for current Lifeline customers.
  • Verizon will add 15GB of high-speed data for wireless consumer and small business customers.
  • Consumer and small business Fios and DSL broadband internet plans will have no data caps.
  • AT and T
  • AT&T will not terminate the service of any wireless, home phone or broadband residential or small business customer because of their inability to pay their bill.
  • AT&T will waive wireless plan overage charges for data, voice or text. AT& T will also waive any late payment fees that any wireless, home phone or broadband residential or small business customer may incur because of economic hardship related to the coronavirus pandemic.
  • AT&T will keep its public Wi-Fi hotspots open for any American who needs them.
  • T Mobile
  • For the 60 days after activation, Metro is offering a new $15 per month plan for unlimited talk and text plus 2GB of high-speed smartphone data. Get details from T-Mobile.
  • New and current Metro customers with any voice line can also get a free 8” tablet (via rebate redemption) with a $15 unlimited tablet data plan.*
  • MetroSmart Hotspot devices will be half off, and the $35 per month data plan will include 20GB—double the normal monthly data—for the next 60 days.
  • All current T-Mobile and Metro by T-Mobile customers who have legacy plans without unlimited high-speed data will get unlimited smartphone data for the next 60 days.
  • T-Mobile and Metro by T-Mobile customers on smartphone plans with hotspot data will get an additional 10GB per bill cycle for the next 60 days for each voice line (T-Mobile Connect excluded).
  • T-Mobile is working with its Lifeline partners to provide customers extra free data up to 5GB of data per month through May 13, 2020.
  • Sprint and Boost Mobile
  • For the next 60 days: Sprint will not terminate service and will waive late fees if customers are unable to pay their Sprint bill because of the coronavirus. Get more details from Sprint and Boost Mobile
  • Customers with metered data plans will receive unlimited data per month for 60 days (a minimum of two bill cycles) at no extra cost.
  • Sprint will provide customers with an additional 20GB of mobile hotspot data per month for 60 days (a minimum of two bill cycles) at no extra cost.
  • Sprint customers with mobile hotspot-capable handsets who don’t have a mobile hotspot today will now get 20GB as well per month for 60 days (a minimum of two bill cycles) at no extra cost.


  • New 3/21: Starting Monday 3/23 SEPTA will be changing to Saturday schedule for all days
  •  NEW 3/17: Starting Tuesday, SEPTA will reduce regional rail service by 25% for the next two weeks. Further reductions are expected to city bus and train lines as well; those are yet to be announced (by end of this week). Officials recommend that all riders use the SEPTA Key as a way to gain access to transit without having to touch any surfaces.
  • NEW 3/17: SEPTA plans to refund fares for riders who use weekly or monthly passes, and reminds riders to shut off automatic reloading they may have for their passes if their travel plans are uncertain. - For March Monthly, March 9 and March 16 Weekly Passes on KEY CARDS: contact the SEPTA Key Call Center at (855) 567-3782 (this number is on the back of the Key Card), and request that the pass product be removed. A prorated refund will be placed in your Travel Wallet. The call center is available Mon-Fri 6AM-8PM, and weekends 8AM-6PM.
  • For March Monthly, March 9 and 16 Weekly Passes, or University Semester PAPER LEGACY PASSES: Customers will need to mail their pass to the following address to receive a prorated refund: Septa Refunds, 1234 Market Street, 9th Floor, Philadelphia, PA 19107. The refund will be prorated for the unused days based on postmark of the letter.

Corona Specific healthcare 

  • Hotlines
  • If you’re worried you have Corona symptoms, call the Greater Philadelphia Coronavirus Helpline: Call the 24/7 helpline to speak with a health care professional. 1-800-722-7112
  • Children's Hospital of Philadelphia has set up a 24/7 hotline for questions and concerns about COVID-19: 800-722-7112. The hotline is for anyone's use (not just cases involving children).
  • Sign up for text updates from the city
  • Primary Care
  • Payment
  • The city has reported that “certain services, such as those provided to children under age 18, pregnant women, and individuals who reside in a facility, as well as laboratory services and emergency services, do not have a copayment. Any copayments for testing, screening, and office visits related to COVID-19 will be waived.” See more on their website.
  • Testing
  • Most testing centers are requiring you have approval from your primary care doctor
  • All testing will be free (according to the city)
  • Penn Medicine- both locations will be open on 3/23 from 10am-5pm
  • Radnor- 201 King of Prussia Road, North Parking Lot
  • West Philadelphia- 4122 Market Street Parking Lot
  • They may be able to take walk in patients with flu like symptoms
  • Citizens Bank Park- daily from 1pm-6pm
  • To be tested here, you must have symptoms of a fever and new onset of cough AND be either over 50 or a health care worker
  • You do NOT need to go through your primary care doctor for this site
  • No appointment necessary but be prepared to wait
  • Bring your driver’s license and insurance card if you have one- they will not turn you away for lack of documentation or insurance and will not charge you
  • Rite Aid, 7401 Ogontz Ave, 19138- daily from 9am-5pm
  • To be tested here, you must be a healthcare worker or a first responder.
  • You do NOT need to have symptoms
  • No appointment necessary but be prepared to wait
  • Bring your driver’s license and insurance card if you have one- they will not turn you away for lack of documentation or insurance and will not charge you
  • Jefferson
  • 10th and Sansom- open from 8am to 5pm daily
  • You need to be a Jefferson patient with a physician ordered test
  • Northeast locations- Jefferson Bucks Hospital, Jefferson Frankford Hospital, Jefferson Torresdale Hospital) Open 8am to 5pm daily
  • You need to be a Jefferson patient with a physician ordered test
  • Mainline Health System Testing
  • They are not releasing information about locations- the doctor will give the information when someone is approved by their doctor to get testing

Reproductive rights

  • If you need help paying for an abortion, Women’s Medical Fund is still operating their Help Line on their normal schedule. You can call them Mondays and Wednesdays from 1-5pm, and Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays from 9am-12:30pm. Their number is 215-564-6622. More info on their website.
  • Women’s Medical Centers in Philadelphia and Cherry Hill are open and scheduling immediate appointments. Call their toll free number at (800) 869-2330 or visit their website

Sexual & Reproductive Health Telemedicine Services

STI Screenings

Health Center 1:  215-685-6570- Walk in hours M-F 7:45 am-3 pm only seeing folks who are having symptoms at this time Located at 1930 S Broad St. 2nd Fl. Philadelphia PA 19145.  SAME DAY RESULTS, calling ahead is a good idea to make sure the doctor is there and they are taking new patients that day

Health Center 5: 215-685-2933 Walk in hours M-F 8:30am-2:30pm Located at 1900 N 20th St. Philadelphia PA 19121.  Results will take up to a week, calling ahead is a good idea to make sure the doctor is there and they are taking new patients that day.

Mental Health

  • Crisis Response Centers
  • Many are turning people away due to capacity- call ahead to see if they are taking people still
  • Friends Hospital: 4641 E Roosevelt Blvd, 215-831-2600
  • Hall Mercer (8th & Spruce): 245 S. 8th St; 215-829-5433
  • Presbyterian: 51 N 39th St. 215-662-9161
  • Temple / Episcopal Hospital: 100 E. Lehigh Ave, 215-878-2600
  • For mental health and addiction services, contact the Community Behavioral Health 24/7 hotline at 888-545-2600
  • For mental health crises, call the crisis hotline 24/7 at 215-685-6440
  • Contact your insurance company’s member services department to inquire about provider availability at this time
  • For those on Philly Medicaid covered by CBH for behavioral and mental health, call member services 24/7 at 1-888-545-2600 for a care connection.
  • CBH has developed a comprehensive network changes reference list that is updated daily and has current info on accessing resources such as telemedicine for counseling and psychiatry, treatment and medication/MAT access for addiction, and crisis care access points. Let trained staff help you navigate your care!
  • The website also has lots of details with provider contact numbers, online behavioral health supports, and the complaints process for quality management within the network.

Domestic Violence

  • Domestic Violence Hotline: 1-866-723-3014
  • Protection from Abuse (PFA) orders
  • Currently, the Courts are operating in a very limited capacity. If you are seeking legal protections to protect you or your child from an abuser, you can seek assistance at the Emergency Filing Unit located at: Criminal Justice Center, Room B-03 1301 Filbert St, Philadelphia, PA  19107
  • The emergency Filing Unit will be open 24/7 during this time.  
  • Women Against Abuse: the Women Against Abuse Legal Center will be operating virtually from March 17th 2020 to March 27th 2020. During this time, the office will remain closed and they are unable to meet with anyone in person to provide their regular services.
  • If you are an existing client, please call the main line at 215-686-7082 and leave a message with your name, the best number to contact you and the reason for your call. If you are trying to contact your attorney or advocate, please mention their name in your message.  
  • Individuals in need of legal services or advice- If you believe you are experiencing domestic violence and you are seeking legal services or advice, please leave a message on their line 215-686-7082. Your message should include: *Your name *A number for staff to contact you *Brief idea on how you would like us to help you. Calls will be returned during business hours and they are monitoring the phones daily.

Addiction Resources

  • For individuals in need of immediate opioid treatment support, contact the NET Access Point at 844-533-8200 or 215-408-4987. Or visit Net Community Care.
  • NET Access Point at 5th and Spring Garden is operating 24/7- you can walk in any time for an assessment and connection to treatment
  • For individuals needing MAT/ Suboxone:
  • If you were referred to Prevention Point’s MAT/Suboxone program, contact 267-549-6196; or come to 2913 Kensington Ave: 9am -2pm Mon-Thurs, 11am-3pm Fri or 10am-2pm Sun
  • If you were not referred to Prevention Point, ARS Treatment Centers also take new intakes for MAT. Call 1-866-866-9277 or to schedule
  • CleanSlate can take new intakes for Buperenorphine (Suboxone) and naltrexone (Vivitrol.) Call 215-433-1855 or visit
  • Mental Health Partnerships is available at 215-751-1800. They can help connect you to the right resources and get help.
  • They serve the following counties in PA: Bucks, Chester, Delaware, Montgomery and Philadelphia
  • If you know someone who might be dependent on alcohol- Check in!!- withdrawal from alcohol (and benzos) can be life-threatening and state liquor stores are closed- they should not detox at home. If someone is detoxing from alcohol or benzos they may need medical care immediately!

Remote meetings for those in Recovery/Sobriety Support:

Harm Reduction

Harm Reduction Supplies in PHL:

Jail visits

How to help:

  • Donate money!
  • Donate time, energy and general resources
  • Sign petitions
  • Contact decision makers
  • Here’s the script:
  • Hi, my name's ___ and I'm writing to urge Governor Wolf take emergency action to help workers impacted by the coronavirus. Without urgent action to bail workers out, this crisis is going to spiral out of control.
  • The governor has emergency powers to allow ALL workers IMPACTED by coronavirus to have dual eligibility for workers compensation and unemployment insurance, to remove obstacles and waiting periods for both programs, and to double unemployment benefits. After that, the governor and state legislature need to work together to make sure there's plenty of funds to sustain workers for as long as this pandemic lasts.
  • Will Governor Wolf take these immediate actions to protect Pennsylvania workers?
  • If not, what is his plan to make sure workers are protected from the economic crisis?


COMPILED BY HATIWGPhilly, the resources have been posted by other folks in our Philadelphia Community and abroad:


Translated Info:

PA Housing and Utility Rights and Resources







ChildCare, Student-Based resources