For more information, check the TED-Amara support desk
How do I register as a new volunteer?
As an existing volunteer, how do I log in to Amara?
How do I request to subtitle talks?
- On Amara, go to the Tasks tab
- Use the filter menu and search field to refine your results
- Hover over “Perform Task” and click “Start now”
- If you’re looking for a specific TEDxTalk and can’t find it, please submit this form
Where can I find my current assignments?
- Click "Your tasks" on Amara’s left sidebar
How do I decline a task I’ve taken by mistake (or can’t complete)?
- Click "Your tasks" on the left sidebar
- Hover over the relevant task and hit "Decline"
How many talks can I be assigned to at once?
- We recommend new volunteers actively work on one set of subtitles at a time.
How do I save my in-progress work?
- Click “Save Draft” in the subtitling interface
How do I indicate I've completed my subtitles?
- Click “Accept” in the subtitling interface and your work will advance to the next step in the process
When do my subtitles get published on TED.com?
- A TED admin or Language Coordinator will carry out the final approval (after the review step)
- Upon approval, your subtitles will publish and you'll be credited for your work in your TED profile
- TED Talk subtitles publish to TED.com, while TEDx and TED-Ed subtitles publish to YouTube
How do I check the status of my subtitles?
- You’ll receive email notifications when your subtitles are reviewed, approved or sent back for changes
- To set your notification preferences, hover over your username (top-right corner), select “Profile” from the drop-down list, then click “Edit profile”
- You’ll receive a message when the status of your work changes
- To view your messages, hover over your username (top-right corner) and select “Messages”
- Use the search and filter options to find the right talk and language
- Filter for tasks assigned to “anyone” – the search results will show the status of your subtitles
What if I notice a mistake in my subtitles after they are published?
How do I download subtitles?
- On a talk’s Video page, select the language you’d like to download from the left sidebar
- Use the Download drop-down menu to choose the file format
How do I upload subtitles?
- In the subtitling interface, hover over the wrench icon and select “Upload subtitles”
How do I know who is reviewing my subtitles?
- On the Tasks tab, search for the talk you subtitled
- Filter for Review tasks assigned to “anyone”
- If a reviewer is assigned, you’ll see their name next to the task
- You’ll receive a notification containing the reviewer’s name when they complete their task
How do I know whose subtitles I'm reviewing?
- The volunteer’s name is listed on each review task
How do I know what a reviewer changes in my subtitles?
- On the talk’s Video page, select your language from the left sidebar
- Click the Revisions tab
- Select two revisions and hit “Compare Revisions” to see a side-by-side comparison with changes highlighted
How do I communicate with another volunteer?
- You can message volunteers directly on Amara
- Click the Members tab, search for the volunteer you'd like to message and click "Send a message"
Where can I comment or make a suggestion on a set of subtitles?
- Comment on subtitles you’re assigned to in the Team Notes section of the subtitling interface
- If you aren’t assigned to a set of subtitles, you can leave a comment on the Comments tab of the subtitles page
- Volunteers working on the subtitles will be notified of the comment
How do I know if someone comments on my subtitles?
- You’ll be notified by email and with a message on Amara
- Access messages by hovering over your username and clicking Messages
How do I “follow” a set of subtitles?
- You automatically follow the subtitles you work on
- To manually follow a set of subtitles:
- Go to the talk’s Video page and select your language on the left sidebar
- Hit “Click to Follow”