OpenStreetMap Foundation

Licensing Working Group

  Tuesday 6th December 2011

19:00 - 20:10 GMT

Agenda & Minutes


Present: Dermot McNally, Michael Collinson, Simon Poole, Richard Weait

Apologies: Oliver, Grant

Minutes by: Michael

1. Adoption of Minutes of last meetings

The LWG last met November 22nd for a long-form meeting.

Proposed: Dermot

Seconded: Richard


2. MATTERS ARISING (open action items from previous meetings)

  • Grant - Get a license and attribution page link as an XML Comment into these APIs: Rails API. (patch done but not live)
  • Mike -  combine Bing Imagery License comments as a succinct list for forwarding to Microsoft legal.
  • Mike - Incorporate into foundation landing page
  • Mike - a number of folk targeted by the mailing have asked questions that the LWG needs to deal with.
  • Action - Grant - Ask if it feasible - Add a tag to a user's user page indicating license acceptance status.
  • Mike - Provide text to Grant re and friends in Sept 20th minutes
  • Richard - Deceased contributors (Sept 20 minutes) ask counsel: Are there any grounds for publishing their contributions under ODbL without contacting their estate for permission? (completed - Difficult so we will not proceed on a general basis.  Case by case OK provided that whoever approaches knows the bereaved and acts in a sensible, sensitive manner.)
  • Mike - Recruit a core volunteer technical team to help out with database rebuild (Oct 25 minutes)
  • Dermot and Richard will contact four people we have identified for per change-set CT acceptance (Oct 25 minutes) Ongoing
  • Richard will draft sub-phases to get us to April 1 2012 license cut-over. 

3. Finalise today's agenda

4. Anonymous edits

- Richard has drafted some emails for us to review.

- Mike has sent a request to DWG to ask if anonymous mappers who have accepted the new CTs (360+) can be separated from the main pool of anonymous mappers.

5. Second bulk mailing

Slow on getting translations for our next target list of languages.  We can however proceed with a second English-language mailing. Dermot suggested we flag advances with UK OS and Australian gov imports.

6. Poland UMP-pcPL

We will make a start by completing a planned editing of our copyright and attribution page to properly emphasise the Poland UMP-pcPL project (add to existing action on Mike).

We should also communicate with the OSM contributor community via Talk-pl (how active is this?) (Mike) and find if there is Polish OSM forum (Simon).

7. Database re-build (if anything)

- Frederik has added a facility to Quick history service to mark things as “OK”.

- Frederik’s OSM Inspector tool nearly ready for release

- Adopting users. Some users have declined (or not answered) CT/ODbL, and have also declared that their contributions are “PD”.  The wiki holds a page where users “adopt” the data of such a user.  The quick history service then considers those edits as clean.  

Simon reported that relying on the PD-declaration of an API user from an account on the wiki was tenuous. In contrast, we rely on the statements of mappers made in good faith; the good faith statements of the adopting mappers carry weight.  

- Guidelines for cleaning tainted data. (All - review for discussion next meeting)

- Walking Papers

Frederik has directly contacted Michal Migurski, author of Walking Papers. Should see some movement soon.

- Garmin map

Simon is on this.


- .yu emails (if anything)

Closed. No responses received.

- Dynamic Data (Oliver)

Next Meeting:

Tuesday Dec 13th 11:00 PST / 14:00 EST / 19:00 UTC / 19:00 GMT(UK) / 20:00 CET

AND/OR a date/time to suit Australian time zone.