Pi Sigma Alpha
Epsilon Iota Chapter
MINUTES of Pi Sigma Alpha
Meeting date: 11/08/2011
Call to Order: A formal meeting of the Epsilon Iota Chapter, was held in the Academic Success Center in Clark Hall on November 8th, 2011. The meeting convened at 3:15 p.m., President Kyle Brady presiding, and Jorden Castagna, Secretary.
Members in Attendance: [optional]
Approval of Minutes: Motion was made by Domingo Juan, and seconded by Jorden Castanga to approve the minutes of the September 11th, 2011 meeting. Motion carried.
Agenda for Meeting: online
- UC Merced PhD program: speaker coming to talk, see Professor Wood if interested.
- Kyle Brady, President
- Deadlines are important, have been and have been assigned prior to meetings, please ensure that these deadlines are met, only 1 1/2 individuals followed through with the requirements.
- There has been a lot of work done to improve Pi Sigma Alpha and we need to maintain the improvements, please try to follow the constitution and our protocol in Pi Sigma Alpha.
- Domingo Juan, Vice President
- Adding to the president’s report, if you have any concerns or questions please feel free to contact.
- Melvin Marcia, Treasurer -- given by Kyle Brady
- Some progress has been made to receive an estimate of how much money we have in the account, but is still unclear.
- Jorden Castanga, Secretary
- No report.
- Yvonne Jimenez, Fundraising Chair -- given by Kyle Brady
- Plato club is looking for a location, Associated Students will house an event for us but we must leave by 5pm, but it may also be housed in the Student Union, off campus, or in another location.
- Allen Wang, Historian
- No report.
- Abraham Villareal, Membership Recruitment Chair
- Eight individuals indicated interest in joining.
- Shabnum Osmani, Public Relations Chair
- Apparel has been designed so we may see it online via Facebook or the blog/site, it is a good way to get our name out there. Please give feedback/upload a design that you like.
- If you are interested in LSAT prep or law schools, these will be posted online as well.
- Jessica Brohmer, Scholarship Chair
- Grant Proposal was difficult because there are plenty of ideas that don’t require funding.
- Eric Borjeson, Special Projects Chair
- Notify of any interests.
- Formation of Historical Inquiry Sub-Committee
- Chair: Allen Wang
- Purpose: to investigate and inquire into the History of Pi Sigma Alpha, creating a Historical narrative for private and public use, as well as the formation of an Official Mission Statement.
- We would like it to consist of 3 or 5 people total. A mission statement needs to be written for our organization that is clear and concise. We will be asking alumni and faculty to contribute to our knowledge of history.
- Vote on Official Motto
- Proposed: Sic Dicimus Omnes [“So Say We All”]
- Reasoning and Defense by Historian Allen Wang
- We need a tagline that symbolizes our unity and provides a formal motto.
- Motion to approve by Historian Allen Wang, seconded by President Kyle Brady.
- Decision on Latin v. Greek translation deferred to next Meeting
- Vote on Amended Constitution
- Deferred to next Meeting due to Membership roster creation failure.
- Vote on Membership Fees
- Motion to increase fees by $15 on every level by President Kyle Brady, seconded by Vice President Domingo Juan.
- Having extra money allows use of the funds.
- National dictates fees.
- Motion denied, 3-8-3
- Fees stand as listed on current Membership form.
- Discussion: Duties of Officers and Committees
- No discussion, withdrawn by President Kyle Brady
- All forms and dues are required to Abraham Villareal by November 29th.
- Next Meeting: December 6th, 3:15pm, same location.
- Assemblymember Nora Campos is hiring interns -- see Dr. Christensen for details.
- Grassroots Economic Politics organization is seeking graduating seniors, contact Professor Wood.