What is Blackboard IM?
Blackboard IM allows members of a course to communicate anytime, on any computer that has Blackboard IM installed, through instant messages (IM) or audio chats. Communication may take place between individuals or in groups. Fully integrated into the UIC Blackboard system, students and teachers of the course are automatically connected.
Downloading & Installing Blackboard IM
To download and install Blackboard IM in your computer, follow these steps:
1. Log in to Blackboard using your netID & password
2. Click on the Courses tab and access any course
3. Click on Communication or Tools on the leftmost menu under the course name
4. Look for and click on Blackboard IM to access the download page.
5. Then, under Account Settings, create a new account and complete the registration form
6. A conformation email is sent to the address provided
7. Check your email and click the conformation link. Your account is then activated
8. Click the Windows Logo to download Blackboard IM for Windows (below)
9. Double-click the Blackboard IM icon that was downloaded. The Setup launches
10. Select a default language for the Blackboard IM Basic client
11. Review the license agreement and click I Agree
12. Select a location to install Blackboard IM
13. Click Install: Blackboard IM is installed and a confirmation screen will open
14. Select whether or not to run the program right away
15. Click Finish
1. Log in to Pronto using the ID and password that were created during the account creation process
Using Blackboard IM
Once logged into Pronto, the basic interface of Pronto will appear as below.
For a comprehensive Blackboard IM tutorial, please refer to the following document:
Last updated: 19 August 2011 - YG