SCCT PRODUCTION STAFF
This position reports to the Director. All production/artistic staff positions ultimately report to the producers. In the event of irresolvable disputes among the production/artistic staff, the decision of the Producers shall be final.
- Design costumes for arena theatre production based on the artistic concept of the director.
- Construct and/or acquire costume elements necessary to execute the design.
- Provide samples, photos, or drawings to communicate design concept and color palette.
- Coordinate costume elements with Scenic Designer and Lighting Designer to assure cohesive design.
- Coordinate measurement and fitting times for actors with Stage Manager. Assure that special hair and make-up requirements are communicated to cast members.
- Maintain a safe, orderly, and operable costume shop.
- Supervise interns, apprentices, and volunteers in the costume shop and storage areas. Provide instruction as necessary to build technical skills and to ensure safety. Coordinate utilization of apprentices and volunteers to assure the timely completion of the production’s costume requirements.
- Pull costume elements from stock and modify or repair as required.
- Manage costume budget to cover cost of construction, rental, materials, supplies, wigs, special make-up, and accessories (hats, purses, gloves, jewelry) as well as dry cleaning and laundry in consultation with Producers and Treasurer.
- Coordinate acquisition of costume elements through borrowing, rental, or purchase.
- Attend production meetings.
- Communicate immediately to the production staff any changes or revisions to costume elements.
- Attend load-in and strike. Determine the arrangement of the dressing room areas and manage the installation of costumes into the dressing rooms. Remove outgoing costume elements from the dressing room areas and prepare for cleaning and storage. Assure that costumes are laundered or dry cleaned, as required. Return rented items in a timely manner.
- Attend all technical and dress rehearsals. Train crew to handle costume changes.
- Review performance reports and communicate with Stage Manager on a daily basis to ensure the integrity of the costumes throughout the performance run. Repair or correct any costume problems or issues that arise during the run.
- Must possess strong background in costume design and production. Must be able to sew, alter clothing, and teach basic sewing skills. Must possess the ability to design from stock.
- Must possess strong oral communication skills and be able to work in a team-oriented, community theatre environment composed of volunteers and professionals of varying ages and levels of talent.
- Must have or be willing to apply for Act 33 (Pennsylvania Child Abuse History) and Act 34 (Pennsylvania State Police Request for Criminal Check) clearances.
- Preference will be given to applicants who are age 21 or older.
- The Costume Designer is expected to enforce and follow the rules and regulations established by the Board of Directors as well as to promote the educational mission of SCCT.
- An honorarium of $300 will be paid to the Costume Designer on closing night.
- If the Costume Designer cannot properly complete the assignments of this position, the honorarium may be forfeited or reduced at the discretion of the Producers in consultation with the Board of Directors.