Gradebook: Importing an Excel (CSV) File Moodle ISU
There are a variety of reasons that you may want to import a file into your Moodle ISU gradebook. For example, it might be easier to input and track your grades in Excel, you may need to include grades from an external system in your Moodle ISU gradebook, or you may need to move grades from one course (such as a lab section) to another.
This guide will help you to:
- Export a Blank Gradebook Template from Moodle ISU
- Save the Excel file as a .csv
- Import File into Moodle ISU
Export a Blank Gradebook Template from Moodle ISU
If you would rather calculate your grades in Excel and import them into Moodle ISU, it is advisable that you first export a blank gradebook from Moodle ISU, so your spreadsheet will import easily.
- In the Administration block, Select Grades.
- From the Administration block, Select Export.
- Select Excel spreadsheet.
- In the Grade items to be included section, you can select or deselect the items to be included in the export.
Note: You can also Click Select all/none to select all categories to be exported
- Click Download.
- In the pop-up window that appears, Select Save File.
- Click OK.
- Remember to save your file to a location you will remember so that it will be easier to find.
Note: Remember to input your grades into this saved version so that your grades will be up to date when you import.
Save Your Excel file as a CSV File
Saving the file as a .csv (comma separated values) allows the data within to be saved in a table structure format. The file must be saved as a .csv in order for the grades to import correctly into Moodle ISU.
- Open the Excel file you would like to import into Moodle.
- Click on the File tab located at the top of the tool bar.
- Click Save As.
Note: A new window will appear to give you options for saving your Excel sheet.
- Locate the Save as type dropdown menu.
Note: The Save As Type dropdown menu is located below the file name dropdown menu and is the second dropdown menu under the Documents Library box.
- Select CSV (Comma delimited)(*.csv).
- Click Save.
- When asked if you want to keep the workbook in this format, Click Yes.
Importing a CSV File into Moodle ISU Gradebook
- In the Administration block, Click on the Grades option.
- From the Administration block, Select Import.
Note: You can also access the Import option from the Grader report dropdown menu.
- Click CSV file.
- Click on the Choose a File…button located on the main work screen. You can also drag and drop the file into the boxed area.
Note: A new window will open called the File picker.
- Click Browse.
- Select the file that you wish to upload from your computer.
- Click Open.
- Once you have selected the file, it will automatically appear in the Attachment text box in the File picker.
- Click Upload this file located as the last option in work screen area.
Note: You will be taken back to the Moodle ISU work screen. The file you have selected will be shown under the Choose a File…button.
- Do not change any of the other available options on the screen.
- Click Upload grades.
Note: You will be taken to a preview of the file you are about to upload. This is to help you match up the scores with the information in Moodle ISU.
- If you first exported a blank spreadsheet:
- Scroll down to the Identify user by section and Select from the following options:
- Map from ID number: The Excel file will match with the Bengal ID number that you have for a specific student.
- Map to ID number: refers to the students Bengal ID number.
Note: If you created your own spreadsheet you will need to choose which two columns to map the information. If there are any typos, name changes or other inexact matching, the students’ scores will not come in correctly or could potentially be placed in the wrong sections. We strongly advise exporting first from Moodle ISU.
- Locate the Grade item mappings section.
- From the dropdown menu Select one of the following for each of the columns you are importing:
- Ignore: if you would like to set no mappings at this time.
- New grade item: If a grade item does not exist in the Moodle ISU Gradebook.
- To map a grade item, you will need to match up the name of the item in the gradebook with the name of the column in the import file. ie. Quiz: Quiz Sample
- To map comments for a grade item, you will need to match up the comments field in the gradebook with the comments column in the import file. ie. Comments Quiz: Comments Quiz Sample
Note: You should not map any of the fields that contain student identifying information such as name or email.
- Click Upload grades to continue.
- Once the grades have been imported successfully, Click Continue.
- You will be taken back to the Grader report. Any new grade items created will be added to the end of your Moodle ISU Gradebook.
For more information, visit Grade Import.
For additional information, contact ITRC - (208)-282-5880 or email email@example.com.
This work was done by Instructional Technology Resource Center at Idaho State University and is licensed under the Creative Commons Unported License. To view a copy of this license, visit Attribution Noncommercial 3.0 United States or send a letter to Creative Commons, 444 Castro Street, Suite 900, Mountain View, California, 94041, USA.