Gluten-Free Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes
free of gluten, casein/dairy, and soy
created by Carrie of Gingerlemongirl.com
makes 18 cupcakes
1 1/2 cups Sof'ella gluten-free all purpose baking mix
1 cup sugar (actually used 3/4 cup splenda sugar blend for baking -- due to BIL Todd's dietary restrictions)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (I LOVE pumpkin pie spice, cut back if you'd like!)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 (15 oz.) can pure pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
3/4 cup extra-light olive oil (best kind for baking)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin tin with cupcake papers. Spritz cupcake papers with nonstick cooking spray to prevent cupcakes from sticking
- In a large bowl whisk together all dry ingredients.
- In a smaller bowl whisk together all wet ingredients.
- Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients thoroughly until you have a thick batter.
- Scoop about 1/4 cup of thick batter into each cupcake paper.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15-18 minutes until a toothpick or knife inserted in the middle of a cupcake comes out clean.
- Allow cupcakes to cool completely on a wire rack before frosting.
Directions for Homemade Spiced Frosting:
- Add 1 cup coconut oil or spectrum palm shortening to a bowl and slowly mix in 1 pound of powdered sugar. Mixture will be very crumbly. Add 1-2 teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice + 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg to the powdered sugar mixture and stir together well.
- Slowly add water or milk, 1 tablespoon at a time until frosting is the consistency you desire.
- Frost cupcakes and serve.