Southeast Asian Fried Rice
- 1 1/4 cups uncooked brown rice (makes 2 1/2 cups cooked)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon lower-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon sambal oelek (ground fresh chile paste), divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 bunch green onions
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil, divided
- 1/4 cup vertically sliced shallots
- 2 (7-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 cup julienne-cut red bell pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- Cooking spray
- 2 bacon slices, cooked and crumbled
- 4 lime wedges
- Cook rice according to package directions; set aside and allow to cool.
- Combine brown sugar, fish sauce, soy sauce, lime juice, 1/2 teaspoon sambal oelek and 1/8 teaspoon salt in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk.
- In a separate small prep bowl, combine eggs and remaining 1/2 teaspoon sambal oelek.
- Separate green tops from green onions, and diagonally chop; set aside. Cut green onion bottoms into 1-inch pieces; set aside.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 2 teaspoons oil to pan, swirling to coat evenly. Add rice; stir-fry 1 1/2 minutes, stirring constantly. Transfer rice mixture to a large bowl. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in pan. Add shallots to pan; stir-fry 30 seconds or until tender. Add chicken; stir-fry 1 1/2 minutes or until lightly browned. Add brown sugar mixture to pan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 1 minute or until liquid thickens slightly, stirring occasionally. Add chicken mixture to rice mixture.
- Wipe pan clean with a paper towel; return pan to medium-high heat. Add remaining 2 teaspoons oil to pan, swirling to coat. Add broccoli and bell pepper; stir-fry 3 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add the remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt, green onion bottoms, and garlic; stir-fry 1 minute or until fragrant. Add chicken mixture to pan, cook 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated; return chicken mixture to large bowl.
- Return pan to medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add egg mixture to pan, swirling to coat pan; cook 30 seconds or just until egg is set. Stir egg and bacon into rice mixture. Top with green onion tops; garnish with lime wedges.
Yield: 4 servings
Printed From: www.sweetpeaskitchen.com