Blackboard enables instructors to designate a weight for each Grade Center item to determine the final grade. Grade Center weights may be adjusted either by category or item. With Weight by Category, grades are weighted by the category as they are assigned. For example, all Assignments will carry the same weight and all Exams will carry the same weight.
Weighting by Column
- Enter the grade center of your course.
- Hover the mouse over the Create Calculated Column button, then choose Weighted Column on the drop-menu.
- Provide a column name, such as “Weighted Total” or “Final Grade.”
- Scroll down to the Select Columns section.
- Click to highlight a column under the Column to Select heading, then click the arrow to move the column into the Selected Columns area.
- Assign a weight percentage for the item. Repeat for all columns to be included in weighted calculations, making certain that the total weight of all columns adds up to 100%.
- Establish running total preferences and column options. Once all options have been set, click Submit to save the column and return to the grade center.
Weighting by Category
- Click Grade Center on the Control Panel, then choose Full Grade Center on the expanded menu.
- Establish categories for weighting. To create categories, hover over the Manage button on the grade center toolbar, then select Categories from the drop-menu.
- By default, some categories may already be listed, such as Test or Assignment. Click the Create Category button to add new categories as needed.
- Provide a name for the new category. The description is optional, but can help differentiate categories and explain the purpose of a category. Click Submit to finalize creation. After all categories have been created, return to the Grade Center.
- Next, associate individual columns with categories. To do so, click the options button at the top of the column, then choose Edit Column Information on the drop-menu.
- Change the Category drop-menu to the appropriate category for the column. Once set, click Submit to return to the Grade Center. Repeat for all columns to be included in weighting.
Once all columns have been associated with a category, create or modify the Weighted Total column.
- Scroll down the weighted total options page to the Select Columns section.
- Select a category from the Categories to Select field, then click the arrow to move the category into the Selected Columns area.
- Assign the category a weight percentage. By default, all columns within this category will receive an equal share of this percentage. You can change this to designate the share proportionally. For weighted categories, you have the option to allow the system to automatically drop or use only high or low scores when calculating the final grade.
- When all options have been set, click Submit to save the weighted total column and return to the grade center.