Spectrum 3847 Recommended Reading
General Resources Collections
Engineering Design Process and Strategies
- Useful design sheet for quick robot calculations and documentation for FRC robots
- You can find these used on amazon and at used bookstores. They have many design details from the robots from those years. Some things have changed in FRC since then, but many of the principles are and will still be used.
- This book is out of print but you can still get used copies cheap. It is a wonderful resource for robot construction with limited tools. It is written for Battlebots but many of the aspects apply to FIRST Robots like how to use chain and other mechanical principles. A lot of the electrical information will not apply to FIRST, so make sure you read the FRC Robot Manual section for electrical rules.
- Ignore the parts specifically about combat robots (Weight classes and weapons). The materials section alone is worth the read.
- It is free online, but you can also buy it on Amazon: www.amazon.com/dp/1448697050
- A variety of FRC mechanical resources and information.
- This is one of the most useful items for mechanical design in FRC. You can easily see how changing a sprocket or switching a motor will change your mechanism.
- Lectures, Notes and Materials from an MIT Professor (FRC Mentor). Fantastic resource for mechanical engineering knowledge.
- Presentation on mechanical design principles many of which apply to FRC Robots.
- Similar to the above but the examples are specific to wheelchair design,which can translate easily to FRC robots.
- Process that allows for rapid construction of machines.
CAD / Solidworks
- These are the official manuals for setting up the programming environment and learning the FRC-specific library.
- FRC Java Programming Basics
- Motion Magic and SRX Control
- A library for Generating paths using 254's 2014 code and following them via Talon SRX Motion Profiles
- Cross-Platform, Multi-Use Motion Profiling and Trajectory Generation.
FRC Control and Electrical System
Tools and Shop Organization
- FRC teams should be operating at Stage 4 or 5.
Drive Team Selection and Training
- We base our scouting system on this spreadsheet each season.
Judging and Awards
Robot Notebooks and Samples
- Library of Robot Photos to get inspiration on future designs
- 2016 Technical Binder
- 2015 Technical Binder
- 2017 Build Journal
- 2016 Build Journal
- 2015 Build Journal
- 2014 Build Journal