Chocolate Chip Scones
- 1 3/4 cups plus 3 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon dutch process cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) chilled unsalted butter, diced
- 1 teaspoon (packed) grated lemon peel
- 3/4 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup chilled buttermilk
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 400°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- Combine 1 3/4 cups plus 3 tablespoons flour, cocoa powder, 1/3 cup sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a metal blade. Process with six 1-second pulses.
- Remove cover of food processor and sprinkle the butter evenly over the dry ingredients. Add the grated lemon zest. Cover and process with 12 1-second pulses.
- In a small bowl, whisk buttermilk, egg yolk and vanilla to blend.
- Transfer dough to a large bowl. Mix in chocolate chips. Stir in buttermilk mixture until dough begins to form.
- Transfer the dough to a countertop shape into an 8-inch circle. With a sharp knife or pizza wheel, cut the dough into 8 wedges.
- Place wedges on an ungreased baking sheet and brush scones lightly with milk; sprinkle with turbinado sugar.
- Bake in preheated oven 18 to 20 minutes or until tops of scones are crusty. Transfer to a wire rack for at least 5 minutes before serving.
Yields: 8 scones
Printed From: www.sweetpeaskitchen.com