Savory Southwestern Cornbread
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal, preferably stone-ground
- 3 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon chili powder, or more to taste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons corn kernels, patted dry
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded, deveined and finely diced
- 1/4 red bell pepper, seeded, deveined and finely diced
- 2 tablespoon finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- Center a rack in the oven and preheat the oven to 400˚F. Lightly grease an 8 inch square cake pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, chili powder, salt, baking soda and black pepper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, melted butter and egg yolk until well blended.
- Pour the liquid ingredients over the dry ingredients and with a rubber spatula, gently but quickly stir until just combined. Stir in the corn kernels, jalapeno, red pepper and cilantro. Pour half of batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle with cheese and pour remaining batter on top of cheese.
- Bake for about 25 minutes or until golden on top and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool slightly before cutting into squares.
Yields: 9 servings
Printed From: www.sweetpeaskitchen.com