Three-Bean Vegetarian Chili
- 2 red bell peppers
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 cups organic vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cups (1/2-inch) cubed peeled butternut squash
- 1 (28-ounce) can no-salt-added tomatoes, undrained and chopped
- 1 (15-ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
- Preheat broiler.
- Cut bell peppers in half lengthwise. Remove and discard seeds and membranes. Place pepper halves, skin sides up, on a foil-lined baking sheet. Broil 15 minutes or until blackened. Place pepper halves in a zip-top plastic bag; seal. Let stand 15 minutes. Peel and chop peppers.
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-low heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add onion; cook 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in cumin, red pepper, paprika, salt, and garlic; cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add bell peppers, broth, squash, and tomatoes; bring to a simmer. Cook 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add beans; simmer 25 minutes or until slightly thick, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle with green onions.
Yield: 6 servings (serving size: about 1 1/2 cups)
Printed From: www.sweetpeaskitchen.com