Mexican Brown Rice and Beans
From Feeding the Whole Family by Cynthia Lair
- 1 TBSP extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 onion, diced fine
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup brown rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 TBSP tomato paste or sauce
- 3 cups cooked pinto beans
- Heat oil in a 2-quart pot. Add cumin and chili powder and sauté for a few seconds. Add onion and salt and continue cooking until onion is soft.
- Add rice and stir well to coat. Add water and tomato paste and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer, covered, until all of the water is absorbed (about 40 minutes).
- Stir in pinto beans. Serve on tortillas and garnish with shredded cheese, sour cream, salsa, avocado... whatever you like on your tacos.