1 c. warm water
3 1/4 tsp. instant yeast
1 tbsp. plus 1 tsp. olive oil, plus extra for brushing
1 1/4 tsp. honey
2 2/3-3 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 tsp. coarse salt
1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes (optional)
Freshly shredded Parmesan cheese
For the maple bacon vinaigrette:
1 1/2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp. cider vinegar
1 tbsp. bacon drippings
2 1/2 tsp. maple syrup
1 1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
For the salad topping:
4 cups green leaf lettuce or mixed greens
1 tomato, seeded and diced
1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled (reserve the drippings)
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
1. To make the crust, combine the water, yeast, olive oil, honey, and 2 2/3 cups of the flour in the bowl of a mixer fitted with a dough hook. Add the salt, and red pepper flakes; mix on low speed until combined. Add in 1/2 cup more of the flour and mix until a soft dough comes together. Mix on low speed about 5 minutes to knead. Add additional flour, 1-2 tablespoons at a time as needed until the dough is smooth and tacky but not sticky.
2. Transfer the dough to a lightly oiled bowl, turning once to coat. Cover and let rise at room temperature for 30-45 minutes.
3. Divide the dough into 4 equal pieces, transfer to a work surface, cover with a damp towel and let rest 10-12 minutes. Turn on grill and brush grate with olive oil (this will keep the dough from sticking). Just before shaping and baking the dough, cook the bacon for the salad topping in a large skillet until crisp. Reserve the drippings for the vinaigrette.
4. To make the maple bacon vinaigrette. Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and whisk until smooth.
5. To make the topping mixture, combine the lettuce or greens, tomato and sliced onion in a large bowl and toss well to combine. Top with ¼ cup of the dressing mixture and toss gently to coat the salad well. Add the bacon and feta to the bowl and toss gently to combine.
6. With a rolling pin on a lightly floured surface, flatten each dough ball into an 8-inch circle. Brush each dough round lightly with olive oil. Transfer to the grill (with the oiled side down), making sure that all your burners are on medium low. Brush olive oil on the face up side. Cook until lightly browned, 3-4 minutes, depending on how hot your grill is. Flip and sprinkle parmesan cheese on top. Let cook until other side is lightly browned and cheese is melted.
7. Remove from grill, and heap some of the salad mixture atop each of the warm pizza crusts and serve immediately. Enjoy!