Participant Information Sheet (F.1)
Does pornography contribute to a fear of being sexually assaulted within the university student community?
Researcher: Stephanie Wilkins Ethics number:1515
Please read this information carefully before deciding to take part in this research. If you are happy to participate please sign the consent form attached.
What is the research about?
I am a third year student at the University of Southampton, currently studying Criminology. This study will contribute to a student research project, as part of a dissertation. For my research I wish to ask questions in relation to your opinions of pornography and sexually explicit material, of sexual assault, and any fears you may have surrounding these topic areas. If you are at all uncomfortable with any of these topics, please do not take part in the study.
Why have I been chosen?
You have been chosen because of one of the following reasons:
- You saw an advertisement describing this study, and expressed your desire to participate.
- You expressed an interest in partaking in further research having answered a questionnaire.
What will happen to me if I take part?
- You will be asked to fill out a short questionnaire detailing your initial opinions and thoughts Afterwards you will be asked to partake in an online discussion at a specified time and date to discuss your ideas further. Participation in this online discussion is voluntary, as is filling in the questionnaire.
- You will be asked to log on to a private chat room, set up specifically for the purposes of this study. I will ask several questions relating to the topic areas specified, to stimulate a discussion between you and the other members of the group.
- Your answers will be recorded and saved for the purpose of the study.
- The discussion should not last longer than one hour.
- You will be asked to partake in a secondary questionnaire after the online discussion. If you are not comfortable with this, please do not fill in your contact details when prompted.
Are there any risks involved?
There is a small risk that your participation may result in your feeling anxious about the topics discussed. If this becomes apparent at any point within the study please alert myself either via the contact details at the bottom of this sheet, or at any time after the study using the contact details at the very bottom of this sheet. There will also be an opportunity during the online discussion to contact me via the private messaging service.
Will my participation be confidential?
- Your participant information will be stored on a password protected computer and the information shared will be used for the purpose of this study only.
- The data will be anonymised and pseudonyms will be used in writing up the results. It will therefore not be possible to identify you in the results.
- All personal information will be destroyed after the research project is complete.
What happens if I change my mind?
You can withdraw from the study at any time.
What happens if something goes wrong?
If you wish to contact someone after the study regarding a complaint or concern, please contact: Dr Martina Prude, Head of Research Governance (02380 595058, email@example.com)
Where can I get more information?
If you have any queries or questions regarding the study, please contact:
Stephanie Wilkins, Tel: 07811543317, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org