Orange Zest Cake (Adapted from this recipe)
- 1/2 cup brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup sorghum flour
- 1/3 cup potato starch
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. xanthan gum
- 8 Tbsp. Spectrum Organic Palm Shortening
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup unsweetened soy milk
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 2 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 1 tsp. liquid stevia
- zest of 1 mandarin orange
- Preheat Oven to 350 Degrees. Grease an 8 in round cake pan.
- Whisk together dry ingredients. Cut in shortening with a fork.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites and mandarin zest until stiff white peaks form
- In a separate bowl, beat egg yolks, soy milk, apple sauce, vanilla extract and stevia on low speed for one minute.
- Beat egg yolk mix into the dry mix. Fold in egg whites with a spatula until well combined.
- Pour the batter into the pan. Bake for 45 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool, and frost as desired (coconut cream with vanilla stevia makes a perfect frosting for this cake).
Find the original recipe at The Daily Dietribe.