HUC Officers Meeting
Mar 18, 2008
Attendees: AJ Moore, Asif Mohammed, Chris Oakman, Joseph Alvarado, Greg Lopp, Amber Amber, Maiella Leano,
Next Officers Meeting:
Correction - Friday, April 11 5:30pmth. Dave and Busters I-10 and Silber. Put it on your calendar now!
- Treasury Report – Asif
- Rainy Day Funds
- Volunteer Appreciation Party, Friday April 4th
- ACTION: Proposed that we ask the board whether we set a minimum must % of profit from events goes to HUC – Board to review and respond
- Web site updates – Greg
- The website theme migration has been postponed due to technical difficulties and lack of real need. Will solve sponsorship probem soon though
- ACTION: Greg - Incorporate ad sales into our website in order to generate additional revenue? Proposed, will be investigate by April 2
- Local business, VC ultimate, and Google Ads proposed.
- ACTION: Can we create a forum that is read only for officers to discuss web page ideas and updates? Chris and Greg
- HFL Wrap Up – See notes at end from Julie F
- What to do with overage from HFL, split for charities and to HUC?
- Recommendations – Estimated field costs to Miss Red, ~200 to HUC and rest to Women’s Home, or 50% 25% 25% Women’s, home, Miss red, HUC,
- ACTION: Julie F and Board to decide final numbers.
- ACTION: Julie Francis to update the website registrations to indicate who paid and who didn’t pay
- TBUF – Matt
- We need a DATE! Proposed June 21
- Chris suggested we keep that weekend (3rd in June) as OUR weekend for TBUF.
- Get Sarinah to ask for sponsors for gear or merchandise
- Spring League – Joseph
- Trying to get the numbers down on the discs (comparable for winter league) charging 5.10 for spring league for some reason, was 3.95
- Advertising, need to get more - Chronicle, local gazettes, high school Athletics Directors,
- Already Advertised in Houston Press, local businesses near the YMCA, Houston Exxon Mobil employees
- ACTION: Derek Unger has been volunteered, Amber volunteered for greenspoint area
- ACTION: Get volunteers to hand out flyers at Rec play - Chris O.
- ACTION: Needs volunteers for draft April 2 -
- ACTION: Needs more volunteers for clinic Mar 30: pascal dave Edwards, Tom Jackson, Vev,
- ACTION: JOSEPH - Tshirt – find out cost per shirt and tell AJ
- High School – Leagues Etc - Maiella
- No official league, doing informal games for spring
- Trying to get st johns fields for a tourney (end of school year)
- There are almost 10 schools, but they don’t want to pay for stuff, need incentives/deals
- Advertising the spring clinic as free (no commitment to play in spring league)
- ACTION: Need more adult volunteers: Dianna and Nick Turco, Derek Unger, Tom Rowan, more needed, Chris Oakman (memorial, klien)
- Main goals, to have an organized fall league for the high schools
- CSS Fields - Asif
- Working on UH, would like to try Rice for fields.
- Planned to start April 1, 2008
- Board of Directors Update
- ACTION: 3rd Board Member? Any decision on the replacement?
- Sponsorship proposal – please discuss
- Several officers asked what is the vision for HUC, this is left for the board to comment on. Please refer to the survey comments conducted in Winter League: http://houstonultimate.org/node/389
- Tabled for later discussion, general idea is to incentivize our volunteers to get sponsorships for HUC and HUC events by allowing them to receive some % of the sponsorship they get.
- Summer League?
- Not discusses - Do we want to have one? Need a leader if it’s to happen
- Weeknight Rec League?
- Not discussed - Need a leader if it’s to happen
Update from Julie Pre meeting: HFL
The HFL wrap-up is not complete, because I have been sick for several days. I am working on a summary for the website and a full report to send to you/officers. Some general highlights are below...
HFL was successfully held on 3/8/2008 with about 100-110 participants, raising approximately $2000 for the 2 philanthropies. This is about 2/3 of last year's donation, due largely to lower entry fees but partially to lower participation (138 in 2007). Tournament was won by Team Respect, which included both the youngest and the oldest player in at HFL...Stu Farquharson, founder of first Ultimate team in Austin and former coach of Alvin Houndz, was in town from Connecticut to play and had some nice memories of Laura to share. Thanks to all the volunteers that made HFL happen.
Update from Matt McDonald – Premeeting – TBUF 2008
I've called Allen from East Beach a couple of times today and I'm trying to nail down June 21st as a date. It allows people to go to poultry days on teh 14th and I think DW was keeping the 7th open as an alternate date for their Live Logic tournament. 28th is out for me.
If no one has objections to the 21st I'll make it happen and get the ball rolling on organizing.