- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup canned tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon light brown sugar
- 8 taco shells
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 small tomatoes, diced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 avocado, diced
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- hot pepper sauce to taste
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, heat the oil until simmering.
- Add the onion and cook until softened and lightly browned around the edges, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic, spices, and 1 teaspoon salt; Cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the ground beef and cook until browned, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, to break up the meat.
- Stir in the tomato sauce, broth, vinegar, and sugar. Simmer until thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Spoon the meat mixture into warm taco shells and top with cheese, tomatoes, cilantro, avocado, lettuce, onion, sour cream and hot pepper sauce.
Yields: Makes 8 tacos, serving 4
Printed From: www.sweetpeaskitchen.com