A test must be deployed to a content area before students can enter the assessment. This is a two-step process: adding the test to a course area and then making it available.
To deploy a test:
- Enter the content area in which you would like to create the link to the test, such as Course Content or Assignments.
- Hover your mouse over the Assessments button, then choose Test on the drop-menu.
- Select the test from the Add Test menu, then click Submit.
- The Test Options page is used to set availability and presentation options.
- Make the Link Available: By default this option is set to No, which will prevent students from seeing the test link. Click Yes to make the test available. Display rules can be used to limit visibility to specific dates and times, if needed.
- Multiple Attempts: One attempt per student is allowed by default. Using this setting, an attempt will need to be cleared to allow a student back into the test should a problem occur, destroying previously saved work. Instructors can also allow unlimited attempts, or set a maximum number manually. The score of the last attempt will be calculated in the grade center total by default, but all attempts will be saved and recorded within the grade center.
- Force Completion: When checked, the test must be completed once launched. Students cannot save their attempts and come back to the test later.
Note: It is recommended to leave the Force Completion box unchecked if a timer is used. Should an issue occur during the test, such as a crashed web browser or power failure, the student can re-enter the test at the point of the last save and the attempt can be continued. Because the test timer continues to progress until the test is submitted, the timer will continue to monitor the length of the attempt even if the student’s browser is closed.
- Set Timer: The box must be checked to utilize the test timer. Should a student go over the time limit, the student will be allowed to complete the attempt. However, the time stamp will show the full length of the student’s attempt, along with a visual notifier, an exclamation point, in the Grade Center.
- Auto-Submit: Turn the auto-submit option on to save and submit a student’s attempt automatically when the timer expires. This setting should not be used if a student in your course will be granted extra time to complete the exam.
- Display Rules: Use the Display After and Display Until options to limit the window of availability for the test. The boxes must be checked to enforce these options.
- Test Availability Exceptions are a great way to set up exceptions to your test settings, such as to allow a student to take a test earlier than the rest of the class, or to grant a student or group of students extra time to complete a test. For more information about test availability exceptions, please see following helpguide:
Test Availability Exceptions Helpguide
- If you set a Due Date for the test, you have the option to allow students to start the test if the due date has passed. Late attempts will be accepted but flagged as late within the grade center.
- Under the Self-Assessment Options heading, the test score is included in the Grade Center calculations by default. This box can be unchecked for practice and optional quizzes which will not count toward the final grade.
Note: Do not check the box to “Hide Results for this Test Completely from Instructor and the Grade Center.” This essentially turns the test into an anonymous survey, from which individual answers and grades cannot be recovered.
- Test Results and Feedback are limited to displaying the Score by default. This is the feedback that students are allowed to see upon completing the test and when reviewing their grade in the My Grades section. You can now set up test feedback to be released in stages, such as to show only the score to a student after submission, but to automatically reveal the correct answers to the test only after all attempts have been graded.
- Tests are set to display all questions at once by default. Instructors can choose to display questions one-at-a-time, and also to prohibit backtracking. The questions order can be randomized, regardless of presentation choice.
- Once all options are set, click Submit to finalize test deployment.
Changes to the test can be made by clicking on the options button for the test link, then choosing Edit the Test Options on the drop-menu.