Quinoa and Black Bean Salad
- 3/4 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Rinse quinoa thoroughly with cold water in a fine-mesh strainer, let drain.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, bring vegetable stock, quinoa, cumin, cayenne papper, salt and pepper to a boil. Cover and simmer on low 20 minutes, or until all of the liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Stir frozen corn into the saucepan, and continue to simmer about 5 minutes until heated through. Mix in the black beans and cilantro.
- While the quinoa is simmering, heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the onion and garlic, and saute until lightly browned. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Add the quinoa, bell pepper and cherry tomatoes to the onion mixture and toss to combine.
Yields: 10 servings
Printed From: www.sweetpeaskitchen.com